Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also was wondering about that, and if you're going to be wired in series to get 4 ohms from the two 2 ohm drivers, wouldn't you use the mono bridged configuration? That would be plenty of power, no?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Very nice work, I bet those things can give you a massage in that room! Please tell me the next planned upgrade is the tv though :R
:sad::(Well Steve. I know the TV is not matching with the rest of my system (do you really have to remind me:paddle:....I hate you:sob:).... :R

BTW, I fought very hard and spared much of my hardly earned money to build this system, and the next "real" upgrade will be the TV...that's sure:neener:

I see coming a thread opened for the TV, but not before 7-8 months:dunno:

Nevertheless, I thank you for your contribution to this "LF world" :R :T

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I also was wondering about that, and if you're going to be wired in series to get 4 ohms from the two 2 ohm drivers, wouldn't you use the mono bridged configuration? That would be plenty of power, no?
Hi bnw!

I don't understand very well you Q? but I will try to reply: I have the D4 drivers not the D2, and yes I am using a bridged configuration.
Well.... a single box hit 125 db uncorrected earlier in this thread:R.... this was at 8 ohm bridged for a single woofer If you add the second sub wired in parallele, it gets 4 ohm bridged (around 2000-2200W from amp). And that's the current setup.

When I have time, I will try Dual 8 ohms configuration and see what the difference is.

Have a nice day!

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Yes Steve I know.... I do like you sense of humour:bigsmile: Pls feel free to send more and more:R
By the way, I also need to replace the AC unit by a decent split unit:heehee: you did not notice that....But BTW, I can't hear anything from this window A/C unit when I'm seriously firing a movie....
FYI, I will add another amp and will connect the to a dedicated A/C 32A line (220V):devil:
I will see what the improvement is:waiting:
Thy is the responsible for this near furture step:innocent:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I have made a similation of room frequency response behaviour with 2 seating configurations (Axially and laterally).

Assuming a flat subwoofer response, Which type of curve do you like more? Brucek? Others?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Very hard to interpret a graph without any indication of units or scale. You don't even indicate whether its logarithmic.

Why have you not used and displayed an REW graph?

brucek

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Brucek,

Sorry I was not clear enough...This is a computer similation of my room gain, and not an actual FR of subwwofer, but 2 different room effects on the sub FRs....Remember, my subs are ery hard to move so I have to study any movement carefully:R

Here are better graphs though!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Updates:

I have ordered a new T-amp 2400:neener:... I know, I know many will ask me why! Why add anoher 2000 W to such a system which is already delivering much more than RL.

I have my reasons here:
- I want to have the full capacity of the subs available when required (just a matter of potential increasing and "full system utilization" possibility).
- I want to disconnect the noisy fans (yes 2 big fans) of the amp, so it is wise to let it run 8 ohms bridged instead of 4 ohms and it will still deliver 2 KW, and 2 should deliver 4 KW (in theory)
- I want another one of this excellent and affordable amp to be added to my equipment rack before discontinuing or whatever unavailability.... for any future need or application.
- At LP, the system should be able to deliver 130 db+ at (25-40 Hz) and RL at 45-70 Hz (due to some room cancellation).
- At typical music listening and movie watching (RL -10/-5db in general) I want no signs of amp stress at all, while still having lots of headroom.

Now that you know my reasons, I am open for any suggestions...:nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Not a good idea steve.... You only have a single LLT:rofl2:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Very nice work, I bet those things can give you a massage in that room! Please tell me the next planned upgrade is the tv though :R
Hey Steve!

I decided to upgrade the display. I have been looking around and I found a 50" Viera Panny (Th-50PV70) middle-East10th generation model. It has a very good PQ, it is a 1366*768, but will accept 1080p (has a 1080P processing chip).

I am dreaming of having it at home, but I am afraid I will have to wait about 2-3 months...:sarcastic:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I have received and connected my new 2 KW amp. The subs are now connected/wired 8 ohms briged.
I have disconnected the fans but did not like the amps heating. So I decided to reconnect these fans.
When I opened the amp top cover to disconnect the fans, I was chocked when I saw the huge power supply as well as 8 * 10000 uF * 80V capacitors... (I don't know if this is big in the pro amps world though....what about the EP-2500 for ex.?? any ideas...

I have lots of headroom, and would not dream of more, but (just out of curiosity) would like to know what you think about the following:

- Running the amps 2 ohm briged, knowing that the amps will never be "a hair" hot when the 4 (variable speed) fans are running.
- Having the subs configured as a single 4 ohms sub, then feeding this 4 ohm terminal with both amps in parallele. What is the possibility of such a configuration if of course the amps are both at exactly the same output level (max for ex) and fed with the same split signal from the receiver.

Again, I do not need more power, but this is for the sake of understanding/discussion/curiosity...

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
I have received and connected my new 2 KW amp. The subs are now connected/wired 8 ohms briged.
I have disconnected the fans but did not like the amps heating. So I decided to reconnect these fans.
When I opened the amp top cover to disconnect the fans, I was chocked when I saw the huge power supply as well as 8 * 10000 uF * 80V capacitors... (I don't know if this is big in the pro amps world though....what about the EP-2500 for ex.?? any ideas...
The EP2500 has eight 12000 uF caps.

http://home.pacbell.net/lordpk/proamps/Behringer_EP2500-1.jpg

- Running the amps 2 ohm briged, knowing that the amps will never be "a hair" hot when the 4 (variable speed) fans are running.
You can try it for sure. If you feel that 2 ohm bridged sounds better than 8 ohm bridged, use it.

- Having the subs configured as a single 4 ohms sub, then feeding this 4 ohm terminal with both amps in parallele. What is the possibility of such a configuration if of course the amps are both at exactly the same output level (max for ex) and fed with the same split signal from the receiver.
That would be same as 8 ohm bridged (power wise). But the output level isn't necessarily exactly the same even though both gains are maxed out. So therefore I would use bridged instead.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
The EP2500 has eight 12000 uF caps.
Well, I know these amps are very similar, while the EP-2500 has a bit more caps, the power supply of the T-amp is slightly larger. Thanks for the info!
You can try it for sure. If you feel that 2 ohm bridged sounds better than 8 ohm bridged, use it.
I will try for sure...You know that I like playing with my toys:nerd:
That would be same as 8 ohm bridged (power wise).
I sure believe you but why?
But the output level isn't necessarily exactly the same even though both gains are maxed out.
Why?:dumbcrazy:

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
Ilkka,

You were correct with your expectations... Running the amps at 2 ohm bridged didn't add a thing at all. It is about the same power as amps bridged 8 ohms (not a single db gain), but I didn't like the sound of the 2 ohm configuation... With some exageration I would say to my ears I felt the sound was a bit boomy and not as tight as the 8 ohm configuration.

Appearently, (as you told me before), this is the capability of the power supply, it will propably not exceed 2000W by much be it 8, 4 or 2 ohms:T

And therefore, I am just happy to have followed your advice and added to my equipment rack another amp:yay:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Hey Steve!

I decided to upgrade the display. I have been looking around and I found a 50" Viera Panny (Th-50PV70) middle-East10th generation model. It has a very good PQ, it is a 1366*768, but will accept 1080p (has a 1080P processing chip).

I am dreaming of having it at home, but I am afraid I will have to wait about 2-3 months...:sarcastic:
Well, I changed my mind. I wanna enter the BIG PICTURE WORLD. I am now about to order a 102" Carada BW screen:raped: and the new Epson TW-2000...Just waiting for some more reviews of it.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts