Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just convinced my buddy to buy a couple Stereo Integrity D4 HT18s to complement the speakers he's getting installed in his basement. I was thinking that a good candidate for powering these would be an iNuke3000DSP.

He's got time to order an amp, but with FREE shipping on the already ridiculously inexpensive HT18s for the limited time, I encouraged him to jump on that deal for a pair of killer drivers. With the dual setup, I recommended the D4s so he could wire the drivers in series and then together in parallel for a final load of 4 ohms (paired with what the iNuke can put out, which is "3000" watts mono bridged at 4 ohms - supposedly it is really like half that).

Is this a good recommendation? We're not going LLT, but we are going to do ported due to the large volume of his basement, so the DSP capabilities are nice to have built into the amp.

·
Registered
334 Posts
how many subs we talking?

2, 4?

As long as you can wire them to dial them in independently (if 2) or in groups (if 4) that should be fine.....

I'd want to be able to tweak each section independent but thats me.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I would recommend a NU6000dsp or two NU3000s for two 18 D4s. One NU3000dsp would run them but the amp would be out of juice before the subs are.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fusseli, that's exactly what kind of advice I am looking for! I will see if he wants to swing it for the 6000.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend a NU6000dsp or two NU3000s for two 18 D4s. One NU3000dsp would run them but the amp would be out of juice before the subs are.
But if he can't do the 6000, will the 3000 be ok? I just don't want to have him worry about driving the amp to clipping with every little thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Ya an NU3000 should be okay, just go easy on the gains with the dsp. Don't do much more than +3dB I'd say. You'll be able to tell if it's too much if it clips (red indicator).

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
actually I'd say the NU3000 is more than enough. the SI 18's really are pushing it at 1100 watts each (it's a 600 watt rated rms driver, but you can push them to about 1000 watts. ) any more than that and I'd be REAL leary.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
The dsp is why more power is needed. With much gain, especially with an LS12, the amp will run out of juice real fast. An nu3000 would run them but if the are expected to be pushed very hard or used with EQ I recommend a bigger amp.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the awesome advice, guys. I am going to go ahead with my original recommendation of the the 3000DSP. He is getting really stoked; it should be a fun project.

He has access to a full cabinetry shop and is an excellent woodworker, and I think I am going to recommend a well-vetted design, the Martycube.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Definitely a good recommendation on the speakers. I tried to convince one of my friends to take advantage of the sale but unfortunately he couldn't get past the WAF.

As far as power, I am using a Crown XLS1500 to power my D4s. Wiring them as suggested would give the option of either 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm bridged which, with the Crown amp, gives 775 watts to each speaker. That has proved to be enough for me. In fact I just picked up 2 more during the sale.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Good choice, it should do the job great as long as EQ filter gain is kept modest.

OK guys here is an illustration of how EQ eats amp headroom and why I suggested the NU6000dsp. Either is an SI 18 D4 in 4cuft with 600W. The difference is one has a Linkwitz Transform applied which is roughly equivalent to a +3dB 30Hz LS12. Down low where the filter is boosting the response, the power demand approaches the gain set by the filter (3dB being a doubling of needed power). You can see that anything stronger breaks into the 1000W range real fast, and unless your amp can handle it it would clip in that frequency range. I used a Linkwitz/LS12 because that's what the sealed subs benefit the most from but the same amp power concept apples to any EQ on any sub.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts