Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if all goes as plan I will be starting my Hometheater/Bar area in February. Why am I posting now you ask, well February can come real quick. I wanted to get started with the design now to have a good plan once I get started. I have drawn it out on Sketchup, I was hoping to post it and get everyone's input. I am hoping to get all the framing done, wiring, and drywall with the funds I have. I will be trying to do a little thrift shopping as there seems to be good new materials on craigslist. Here is the gear I am working on, as I am trying to go diy as much as possible.

Pre/Pro I was thinking Marantz, or Integra. Preferably something with a phono input, I know I could run a phono pre but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Amplification will be 3 stereo Pass design F5Tv2 for vertically bi amping my either 2 way Klipschorns/ or Diy Jubilees and A 2 way Lascala for a center. Surrounds will be DIY Drift receipe from Dave Harris's Fastlane audio website. I wouldn't mind picking up one of those OPPO blu ray players I have herd great reviews on. I will all so down the road be building a HTPC, and a server to store all my movies and music so I don't the kids fingering everything.

So what would the best way to up load the drawing from sketchup.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drew this wonderful ceiling, you will notice 2 different things. One the stairs are on the wrong side, and the side were the speakers are is 14' instead of 15'. I don't think it will make much of a difference. But after I got to thinking of it, how much will this affect the sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple of updates, now with columns. I wonder if there is a rule of thumb how to wide and deep to make you columns. I just made mine the size of the ones on the ceiling. One note, what are the issues I have herd of people having when they install can lights in a sound prof room, as far as rattles go. How does one go about curing the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are you planning on a zone control for the lights?

As long as you can dim the overhead cans it may not be too much. You can also go with the smaller cans which have a much more pleasing ascetic given the number. I would separate lighting control for the bar and viewing area so you can use the space during a movie without disturbing the movie.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you planning on a zone control for the lights?

As long as you can dim the overhead cans it may not be too much. You can also go with the smaller cans which have a much more pleasing ascetic given the number. I would separate lighting control for the bar and viewing area so you can use the space during a movie without disturbing the movie.
I was thinking of zoned lighting, just didn't know how to go about it. So I could do 2 or 3, and have one zone for the 3 up front to display everything up there, one for the rest of the lights, and one for the 3 over the bar area. I was thinking of adding some sconces which I then wouldn't need as many cans, or like you said smaller cans like 4".

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well over the coarse of the last couple of weeks, I have moved pretty much everything out of the basement that I could. Got the insulation cut down to go in between the studs. Now some cleaning of the walls, and getting my tools down there so I can really begin this project. Ok I guess I am going to have to figure out a how to use some like picasa or flicr.

Maybe this will work

https://picasaweb.google.com/116970122301666569596/2014011102

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just figured out to use Picasa, which makes thing alot easier then having to try and re size them for the forum. Plus posting them from the phone is alot easier to rather then having to email them to me, copy them to a album. Then re sizing them then posting them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like a great space Nick - subscribed and following along!
Sometimes I think I am going to take to long, then I realize there are folks here that take a good year or so. I just want to take my time and do a nice job. I think I am going to try and tackle the lighting scheme myself with the help of others.

After I get the rest of the framing, I am going to get the resilient channel on the ceiling so I can figure where I will have room for can lights. Then maybe level out some areas in the bar area for tile.

I think if I do some sort of 4 zone controlling system I would be good. Then I figure what I can put in and how to set it up. I just want some thing easily controlled preferably by remote.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Sometimes I think I am going to take to long, then I realize there are folks here that take a good year or so. I just want to take my time and do a nice job. I think I am going to try and tackle the lighting scheme myself with the help of others.

After I get the rest of the framing, I am going to get the resilient channel on the ceiling so I can figure where I will have room for can lights. Then maybe level out some areas in the bar area for tile.

I think if I do some sort of 4 zone controlling system I would be good. Then I figure what I can put in and how to set it up. I just want some thing easily controlled preferably by remote.
Yeah, I would not fret the time it takes to do it - mine ended up closer to two years. And, I am still working on the lobby!

Definitely do as much as you can yourself - I cannot begin to express the level of satisfaction I have when someone comes into my theater and I tell them I did it all. Any questions, don't hesistate to ask them here - that's why the rest of us follow along! :)

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Couldn't agree more..The personal satisfaction of doing it yourself is a feeling like no other..and when you get a "WOW..you did all this!?" when someone walks into your theatre, it makes all the hard work very rewarding..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couldn't agree more..The personal satisfaction of doing it yourself is a feeling like no other..and when you get a "WOW..you did all this!?" when someone walks into your theatre, it makes all the hard work very rewarding..
Prof, every time I read one of your post I can't help but do it in the voice of the professor off of Futurama. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok folks, I am finishing up the framing this up coming week. I am trying to get a materials list together, for the electrical. Here's what I have so far.

Approx. 10 can lights

8-10 outlets
3 20 amp outlets for up front for the 3 stereo amps.
I will wait for the electrician to tell me how much power wire to get
I figured approx 250' cl2 rated 12 awg speaker wire from monoprice, I figured that would be more then enough.
I need some cl2 rated 2 conductor wire for 12 volt trigger I was thinking some 18 awg speaker wire from monoprice would work.
Some interconnect wire for the 3 power amps up front.( I am currently working on a deal now)
HDMI cable for the projector, I should see about running this through conduit as well.
Some of those controllable light dimmers. Something like the Lutron ones.

Anybody think of anything else when it comes to wiring, electrical, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
Run some string down all the conduit so you can pull more wire if you need to down the road.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Where is all your gear going? In a closet? If so, how do you plan on controlling them? I bought an IR repeater from monoprice for my stuff. Haven't used it yet since I too am still building but you may want to give that some thought on how to control all your stuff from one remote. I ran a USB from my AV closet to my main seat so that I could plug in a phone or anything else really to my Xbox. You should probably run some CAT6 in some places as to "future proof" it. Put conduit EVERYWHERE, even if you leave it empty. You don't want to have to demo drywall and potentially compromise your sound isolation so run conduit around the entire room.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.