Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my subs have arrived. The cabinets are 19.5x19.5x21.25. The front and back pieces are the 1.5” mdf with the sides being .75” (I believe). I have not had a chance to hook them up as of yet. Probably this weekend I will get my sonosub out of the family room and hook these up. I will run one each from a channel from an EP2500. I will be going from my processor to a BDF than the EP. I will gain match them first, then find a good location for one, than the other and eq them together.

As with my mains and center channel I had Wayne make the cabinets for me. Since I cannot cut wood and I wanted quality I went this route. They will also match my L-C-R setup.

I did not get a chance to look at the drivers before they went in the cabinets but Wayne said they were built like tanks. He also said AE has my name on each driver which is cool little touch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I decided to take more measurements of the subs together. Since I had been having issue creating waterfalls last time I reinstalled JRE, REW, created a new sound card cal file and reloaded the digital SPL correction file.
This time I placed the SPL meter near ear height next to where I would usually sit in my wheelchair instead of taking them from the couch location as I had done last time.

After running these tested and getting the results I did, I will not be adding any EQ into the system and will let them ride as they are.

The first two measurements are near my location and the second is closer to where the wife would be sitting.

First location:

Second location, moved only about a foot back from the first.

Second location waterfall:

Third location near wife’s seat:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Nice. One thing to note is that your waterfalls look decent and the ringing below 30hz is down low enough in level that it could just be background noise at 40-50db.

Try integrating the mains into the picture and see how things look.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PBC,

I cannot cut a straight line so I had someone build these for me (the same person who made my mains and center).

James

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ricci,

These were made before I had my Equitechs installed (which really lowered the noise in the system, those things are great). When I have some time I will run some more tests. The weekend will be spent swapping caps in my mains and possibly looking into a dead plasma.

James

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's a great looking pair of subs mate. How do you find the behringer at powering them? I read about the fans being quite noisy on them?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prize78,

I do not think the amp does badly at all but I would like to replace it at some time with a more powerful one.

The fan is not a deal breaker for me but whenever I pull the amp out next time I will change it out with another one. There are a lot of folks that change them out as soon as they get this amp because it is to loud for them.

James

·
Registered
106 Posts
Prize78,

I do not think the amp does badly at all but I would like to replace it at some time with a more powerful one.

The fan is not a deal breaker for me but whenever I pull the amp out next time I will change it out with another one. There are a lot of folks that change them out as soon as they get this amp because it is to loud for them.

James
I was looking at getting a Behringer ep4000 to power a dual 12" push pull Acoustic Elegance av-12x....should be enough i reckon, the drivers will take 1000w each. What amp were you looking at upgrading to?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Beautiful subs, and outstanding performance from looking at the graphs.

Well done mate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I could take credit for making those but I had the same gentleman who made my L-C-R setup, make these for me also. I cannot cut a straight piece of wood to save my life.

James

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice subs, I'm sure you're happy with them. They are quite a performer, specially in the mid-bass(SQ). I have the AV15X version in a big 7cf box with PR's and could not be happier.

·
Registered
121 Posts
These are nice!

I have been playing with winSD and for the life of me i cannot get anything like your graph all mine drop off after 20hz! even with a boost at 20hz or 16hz of +6db it's still not a touch on yours it all drops off after about 16hz and with HUGE cone excurtion around 17hz (so its not like i can use a high pass there)

Mind you i dont know what kind of cone excurtion your seeing.

Thanks

Craig

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Craig,

Sorry I just noticed there was a post here.

I cannot seem to find my Winisd project for these but using Unibox, with this driver in a 92 liter cabinet it shows an SPL of 66.9 at 10HZ with 1 watt input. At 100 watts it shows an SPL of 86.9 at 10 HZ with a cone excursion of 10mm.

One thing to keep in mind is my REW was setup for 75db and I measured both of the subs together. They are also both placed in the back corners firing into my bass traps (that is just how I got the best readings for them individually).

Another thing to keep in mind is I was using a Radio Shack SPL meter for my measurements (with calibration file from HTS), but I my understanding, which could be wrong, it that once in the below 20 HZ range with that meter, take things with a little grain of salt.

I am not sure if are your aware or interested but John from AE has put together some package deals for his subs with has flavors of designs using passive radiators and some sealed versions. You can see about them at the below link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235510

James

·
Registered
121 Posts
Craig,

Sorry I just noticed there was a post here.

I cannot seem to find my Winisd project for these but using Unibox, with this driver in a 92 liter cabinet it shows an SPL of 66.9 at 10HZ with 1 watt input. At 100 watts it shows an SPL of 86.9 at 10 HZ with a cone excursion of 10mm.

One thing to keep in mind is my REW was setup for 75db and I measured both of the subs together. They are also both placed in the back corners firing into my bass traps (that is just how I got the best readings for them individually).

Another thing to keep in mind is I was using a Radio Shack SPL meter for my measurements (with calibration file from HTS), but I my understanding, which could be wrong, it that once in the below 20 HZ range with that meter, take things with a little grain of salt.

I am not sure if are your aware or interested but John from AE has put together some package deals for his subs with has flavors of designs using passive radiators and some sealed versions. You can see about them at the below link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1235510

James
Thanks for the info.

Did you manage to dig up your winisd file?

Mine i ask who actaully built them cabs for you(and dare i ask the cost?)

the ones that AE makes arnt really to my taste im quite picky.

Thanks again

·
Registered
503 Posts
If I could of found one of these I would of got one. Ended up with a TC-3000. Your subs look elegant and from what I have herd sound clean. I like how your boxes turned out. Nice setup man.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The cabinets were made by a gentleman named Wayne who also made the cabinets for my L-C-R setup.
Cost was 300 a piece. For that quality, I felt that was very reasonable.

I have not been able to find my Winisd file. I actually think it was on my old work PC which is now gone.

Also, thank you BuddahX.

James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts