Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
A new speaker will need some time to break in in my opinion so that cold also be on of the issues.
Not to tottaly disagree with you Tony but i don't think there would be that noticable of a differance but i won't say that it isn't plausable.:T

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the responses guys,

So after messing with all my settings, the best was setting my center to LRG, however it's still not thumping as much as my L/R so it's safe to say that it's just how my receiver was made.

Time for an upgrade? :sn:

·
Registered
678 Posts
... however it's still not thumping as much as my L/R so it's safe to say that it's just how my receiver was made. ...
You could try picking up a Radio Shack SPL meter on ebay, to verify that the level from the center is set even with the levels of the front left/right.

From there, with some cables and assuming your computer soundcard has a line-in input, you could use Room EQ Wizard to measure the response of your speakers with your current receiver. From your description, I suspect the difference you are hearing is attributable more to the speakers and the room than the receiver. You may find that you can improve the response with changes in the speaker position, or you may conclude that when you do upgrade your receiver, you will need one with a more robust built-in equalization to address room issues.

Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I see..well my speakers are positioned pretty much just 1 feet away from me, and it's set as 1 foot in the receiver. Could it be that my center speaker requires more wattage to power, and my receiver doesn't have a good enough amp? my two bookshelves require less. On numbers alone, it says my center should be 20-150w whereas my bookshelves are 20-100w and my receiver is only rated at 100 max watts per channel I believe.

Or is that totally irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You need to consider how efficient they are more than how much power they require. If you have the manuals for them there will be something like 91db efficient rating under the specifications (or look on the rear of the speakers) anything above 90db is considered efficient and under that it would take more power to reach the same level of volume.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They both are the same @ 89db.
CC-5 and CB-5

I tried connecting the center speaker to left channel with my right bookshelf speaker. It was not thumping as much as the right one, even in the left channel, though it's more than when it was in the center channel. Sorry if that sounded confusing; maybe it's just the way the center speaker was made; not as bass-y. or maybe it's just the receiver.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Are they all 8Ω as well so there should be very little difference between the two. I'm still thinking that your receivers level is not quite set right. You also need to remember that the center channel handles the dialog in a 5.1 mix and may not carry as much dynamic information as your left and right speakers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah..that's what I'm thinking at this point. I went through all the settings in the receiver, tried every combination. My receiver has a pretty simplistic set up menu, so there isn't much I can change, but I did try everything. From changing cables to reconnecting to different terminals and every setting in setup.

Thanks for the help Tony, always so quick to reply

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No Problem,
Like we said in an earlier post if your seriously looking at upgrading Value for money the Onkyo 707 is a great receiver.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts