Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking to pick up a new tv, and was wondering what the better option would be, either:

A: Keep my DVDO VP-30 and spend about $1000-1200 on a 40" tv.
Or
B: Sell my VP-30 and roll that money into a higher end 40" tv, making my overall tv budget around $2K.

Am I correct in assuming that what seperates the higher end sets from the lower mostly comes down to processing? Not the actual panel itself(within reason)? Has the processing in the vp-30 been surpassed by newer processing even in cheaper panels? And If I do keep the vp-30 can I bypass the processing in most LCD's?

I like the idea of keeping the VP-30 as it's convienient to unplug, plug in new stuff etc, and I like the built in test patterns and adjustments as well, but only if I would end up with a comparable picture to a higher end set.

Thanks in advance guys,
Trista

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Well, at that range you will see the full benefit of 1080p, so the scaler will remain a good investment. Unless your other components, upscaling DVD, cable box, laready have top notch scalers for non-1080P material, I'd hang onto the VP-30. And for $1k, you should be able to get a pretty decent 40".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks i'll hang on to it for now, the other thing is with most stores having such liberal return policies these days there's nothing against trying out both options:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts