Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so here's the deal. I bought a new 22 inch LCD monitor, with 2 ms response time, 1080p, high resolution etc. It supports DVI, HDMI, and VGA input. The best output I have on my computer currently is DVI. So right now the monitor is hooked up through the DVI, on a non HD video card, of 124mb.

Would switching the video card to a 1024mb card (with HDMI output), as well as purchasing a HDMI cable, and using HDMI rather than DVI, produce a large change of quality?

Im assuming the change of the graphics card would produce a large change, but if the HDMI over DVI would help also, please let me know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No. If you are using your PC the big difference is the software to drive the monitor -OR- the HW assist that might be in the video card. What I mean is the DVD player software. Are you playing BluRay or Std Def movies? If it's std def, you will need something to scale the movie up. The monitor won't do it. If it's BlueRay it's a different story. You might need to scale down. I'm assuming that the 22" monitor is not 1920x1200. (1650x1050?)

Good luck
-john

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
HDMI and DVI are, for all practical purposes, the same thing when it comes to video. HDMI does carry audio, where supported, along with video which DVI cannot.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im using WinDVD right now to play the movies. Ive only tried standard definition movies, but im downloading an HD DVD movie now, and so ill try playing it with WinDVD. So are you basically saying John, that a HD DVD/BluRay drive will help out in more situations than a new video card/HDMI connection would?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
No. If you are using your PC the big difference is the software to drive the monitor -OR- the HW assist that might be in the video card. What I mean is the DVD player software. Are you playing BluRay or Std Def movies? If it's std def, you will need something to scale the movie up. The monitor won't do it. If it's BlueRay it's a different story. You might need to scale down. I'm assuming that the 22" monitor is not 1920x1200. (1650x1050?)

Good luck
-john

The monitor won't do it. That is incorrect. All LCD monitors scale up and down to match its native resolution.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mike, the point is the scaler in the LCD monitor isn't going to do a great job. Sure the LCD scales but it looks like junk. If you want a great picture, you need to feed the monitor it's native res. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi Fork485;
The video card looks quite nice but I would find out just was that DVD Acceleration is really going to do for you. You are going to want to try and get something that will do a good job of scaling from DVD wide screen aspect ratio to the native res of your monitor. Now the monitor may have a sweet spot that isn't the native res also. You will need to play around with it to see if it has one.
I've heard of a SW product called powerstrip that was popular with the htpc folks.

Good luck
-john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts