Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
I found a link to an article that describes DVI for me, since I didn't already know.

It says that longer cables need better quality, which makes sense. What I want to do is set up my projector to run as a dual monitor when I'm in the mood to use it. So I am looking for a DVI-male to male that will go from my computer to my projector. I've found two that are long enough, I'd say it needs to be at least 20 ft long. How do I know which one is high enough quality though, other than price?

Also, if you could provide good ones for purchase that would be especially helpful. I can't link to the two I've found because I just joined the forums.
I bought two from BlueJeansCable that are something like 35 or 45 feet long. Neither have ever had a problem, from a variety of sources (two different PCs, Dish Network box, DVD player, BluRay player). They were the middle or top tier of their cable selection, and I think they were around $75 each. They are actually HDMI cables, not DVI cables, but that's nothing to worry about. If I were you, I would actually buy the HDMI cables and the HDMI to DVI adapters, because DVI is pretty much dead, and when you go all HDMI, you'll have the right stuff (and not have to use adapters then). That's what I did, and now that I no longer have DVI connections in my system, I'm perfectly fine with the HDMI cables. Either way will work, though.

Good luck!

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
The problem with using HDMI cables with adapters is that the HDMI connectors are not very robust. We see lots of installations with connection problems with HDMI, never with DVI. One of the big advantages of DVI is the quality of the connection and its stability.
Yep, while I haven't had any troubles myself, I can't argue with that -- I've read about them, and I could see it happening with those connectors. You'd think that "they" could have come up with a more robust solution for the latest and greatest plug/socket combo!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts