Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm somewhat new here. More of a lurker than a poster. I didn't find this place until after I got comfortable with avsforum.

Anyways, I am moving to a new apartment and I don't really want to make it extremely dark like my old place. So I will definitely have some ambient lighting.

I have an old Epson Home 20 projector. I am thinking a FG screen would be best for this situation.
I want a screen size of 100". The distance from one wall to the other is about 10-11 ft. I cannot get the exact measurement until I move in, but it looks to be about that.

The Home 20 specs (taken from projectorcentral.com)
Brightness (Lumens) : 1200 ANSI
Eco-Mode (Lumens): 960 ANSI
Contrast (Full On/off): 1000:1
Throw Dist (feet) : 7.4 - 24.8
Image Size (inches) : 60.0 - 300.0

So, quick run down:
960-1200 ANSI lumens
1000:1 CR
100" FG screen
~10 ft. distance from projector to screen
ambient lighting

Seems good right? Correct me if I'm wrong and should go with the DW, but I think I'm understanding it correctly

Well, let's say I upgrade to a 1080p projector (swaying towards the Panny AE3000). They have higher lumens and a way higher contrast ratio than my measly 1000:1 contrast ratio. Would the FG screen be worse for the newer 1080p projectors, given that all the other factors remain constant such as ambient lighting, 100" screen, and same distance?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yikes, I think I found the answer. I found ProjectorReviews and read over the review for the AE3000. He recommended the grey screen for screens under 110" and with ambient lighting.

However he said that the grey screen should be somewhat of a High Contrast one? Does that matter since the contrast ratio on the AE3000 is 60000:1? Is there any more info I can find about the FG screens? Thanks again in advance.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Paul,

Welcome to the Shack! You can find most everything you need to know about Fashion Grey and laminates in the laminate thread. Contrast ratio will not matter much with a lighter environment and ambient lighting. A gray screen will though! ;) :T

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I should add...

If you have any other questions regarding FG, ask away. I was the original tester of FG (someone else had tried it about a week before me but I was the first to take pictures and test it out properly) and it was my first screen until I painted it with Black Widow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mech. I hope I don't see any major hotspotting when I get the FG screen. Especially when I am able to switch to the new projector.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Thanks mech. I hope I don't see any major hotspotting when I get the FG screen. Especially when I am able to switch to the new projector.
Some have and some haven't seen hot spotting. I'd say more haven't than have. I did. But it was easy to fix. If you do let us know and we'll point you the right way for a fix. :T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry, one post away from being able to PM. And I think I need to PM you mech...or not haha.

Anyways..Okay since I'm planning on upgrading..Would it matter what aspect ratio I build the screen in? The AE3000 can do this pseudo-anamorphic to turn the picture to 2.35 or 2.40. I have a lot of blurays and if I remember correctly, it's mostly in the 2.35 & 2.40 ratios as opposed to the 1.78 & 1.85 ratios. Would I be safe just leaving the 4x8 FG as it is and keep a 2:1 ratio? Or should I trim it down to 100" in strictly 1.78 or 2.35?

I watch more movies than regular tv (because I don't have satellite yet), but I would love to have ESPN on the big screen instead of going to a sports bar. So I kind of want the best of both worlds.

If I'm understanding the whole CIH thing, I would want the movies to fill the whole screen while having the tv filling just the middle part. The height would stay the same, but I would just get side letterboxing.

Does that mean I should just build the 2.35 screen? (or even 2.40?) Sorry, I just like thinking and typing out loud.

Now I'm reading about the AE3000 issues with dust blobs..Okay, so if I don't end up getting that one and the rest of the projectors are 16:9 native..Should I just go with that ratio screen?

I never knew that building a screen, let alone, picking one would be this mind boggling

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
If you watch more movies I'd go with the CIH format. I haven't run through all of the movies to see whether 2.4 or 2.35 is more prevalent. :dontknow:

A couple other minds to pick would be Sonnie and wbassett. Sonnie has a CIH screen (An Elite) with the AE3000 and Bill knows a lot more about movies as well as laminates than I do.

Are you 100% set on FG? Did you ever look at Elite's Silver Frame? They can be had for a song nowadays in the 16:9 format from Provantage. I'm actually going to be getting one soon because I love the frame style. They also have the EZFrame in the 2.35:1 format but they go up in price quickly.

As for the FG, I'd trim it down to the size you want. Keep in mind it comes in lengths up to 12' IIRC - for that really wide screen! 5X12 would be a 156" 2.39:1 screen! :yikes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm pretty set on the FG mainly because it's cheap haha. Also because I'm a DIY kinda guy. I feel a lot better knowing that I made the product. But I'll check out those Elite screens on provantage. Any specific ones you're talking about mech?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Well if you're going to stick to a 100" or so size screen, a 106" CineGrey Silver Frame screen can be shipped to you for ~$300. That's a steal in my book! And since I loved the look of the frame, I'm getting one of them.

So, add the cost of the laminate, backing material, misc materials, and your time. Does that equal more than $300? In my case it did. And if I had known (plus if Elite had these screens around that time) I could get a commercial screen for ~$300, I wouldn't be here today. Well I probably still would, cause back then I was a diy'er through and through. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again mech. It sure does look nice, both aesthetically and in quality (even though I heard they are made somewhere in Asia). But I don't get the actual silver frame part. Wouldn't that mess with the perceived contrast ratio? I thought that's why almost all fixed frames have a deep black velvet. Unless, there's something I'm missing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
And for that price, vs laminate, couldn't you even cover the silver frame in a felt-like tape if you are concerned about it? I can't believe the price on these screens?

I started down the DIY path looking at laminate and my local Canadian Home Depot wanted $360 for a 5 x 12 sheet of DW!! So I am now going to paint my screen on my wall...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ouch $360 for some laminate? That's insane.

I talked to them long ago and they said it's $78 for a 4x8 of DW. But that was back then, I haven't had time to call them since I'm in the middle of moving to a new place and a screen is one of the last priorities. I have to be in on the 1st, so yeah.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts