·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dynaudio - Room 400 / 403 / 9014

Models represented:

No code has to be inserted here.

Wayne's Impressions

Dynaudio is a name in speakers that has long intrigued me, and this was my first chance to actually hear any. The models I was able to hear in use were first the C1 Signature Bookshelves, then the X34 Towers, and the X14 Bookshelves the next day.

I have seen Dynaudio prices for bookshelf units over the years and wondered how they could be justified in the $5K and up range. Having seen and heard these models, I will not say I am totally convinced, but it is starting to make sense. The main factory is still in Skanderborg, Denmark - ever buy a low-quality product made in Denmark? - where they design and produce all their own drivers, not overseas to cut labor costs. Not a single thing about the design, the materials, or the process says We cut corners to keep our costs down.

My ears, admittedly under the spell of the Dynaudio mystique, even told me that there was a Dynaudio sound. Upcoming focus time with a pair of DM 3/7's at Home Theater Shack's $2,500 Speaker Evaluation Event should be enough to break that spell so I can get really objective about them.

What I did here in Denver was impressive. Of the three models I heard, there is nothing negative I can think to say. The C1 Signatures had no trouble commanding the room sound-wise as well as visually, absolutely sounded BIG. The small Excite X14 bookshelves had no trouble filling their room, either. Tonality was even, and the Excite towers had a solid low end. While nothing about any model knocked me over, it is often what one does not hear from speakers that matters most. They blended into their rooms, filling each with a natural, comfortable sound field. There is surely much more to hear of them, but this was a good start.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Addendum:

One thing I have noticed about Dynaudio's top-end bookshelf and smaller tower designs is the tweeters being located below the woofers in the Contour, Confidence, and Consequence lines. In my own work setting up speakers, the best soundstage usually occurs with the listener's ears at midrange driver level, not at tweeter level, and have even set speakers upside down to get the mid driver at ear level. Has someone at Dynaudio realized this effect and built it into the design of these series? It just might be worth a letter to the factory to find out!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Dynaudio - Room 400 / 403 / 9014

Models represented:

No code has to be inserted here.

Wayne's Impressions

Dynaudio is a name in speakers that has long intrigued me, and this was my first chance to actually hear any. The models I was able to hear in use were first the C1 Signature Bookshelves, then the X34 Towers, and the X14 Bookshelves the next day.

I have seen Dynaudio prices for bookshelf units over the years and wondered how they could be justified in the $5K and up range. Having seen and heard these models, I will not say I am totally convinced, but it is starting to make sense. The main factory is still in Skanderborg, Denmark - ever buy a low-quality product made in Denmark? - where they design and produce all their own drivers, not overseas to cut labor costs. Not a single thing about the design, the materials, or the process says We cut corners to keep our costs down.

My ears, admittedly under the spell of the Dynaudio mystique, even told me that there was a Dynaudio sound. Upcoming focus time with a pair of DM 3/7's at Home Theater Shack's $2,500 Speaker Evaluation Event should be enough to break that spell so I can get really objective about them.

What I did here in Denver was impressive. Of the three models I heard, there is nothing negative I can think to say. The C1 Signatures had no trouble commanding the room sound-wise as well as visually, absolutely sounded BIG. The small Excite X14 bookshelves had no trouble filling their room, either. Tonality was even, and the Excite towers had a solid low end. While nothing about any model knocked me over, it is often what one does not hear from speakers that matters most. They blended into their rooms, filling each with a natural, comfortable sound field. There is surely much more to hear of them, but this was a good start.
Dynaudio speakers have impressed me for years. They do have a distinctive sound - just like the Eggeston family of speakers and Totem. They also remind me of some earlier Duntech speakers. I've heard them in a surround configuration (Contour series) and they gave me one of the most impressive demos I've seen.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
When I was demoing speakers I listened to the Dynaudio's and was impressed. It came down to them ,Aerial ,and Von Schweikert. The von Schweikerts won out but not after several months of waffling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.