Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hoping to build 2 x LLT Sonotubes with 22" tube and ED 19 OV.02 Drivers powered with a Behringer EP2500. I am a DIY and tool newbie. I will have ED build the end caps and insert t-nuts for me and terminals ect but need help on...well... just about everything else.

EDIT:

I have more questions and information and the ever helpful Mike pointed out that it would be best to put them up so everyone can help me.

Here they go:

1. I need help deciding on a port size and length and a Sonotube length. WinISD confused me beyond anything else. I would like to tune them as low as safely possibly for these drivers without losing headroom in mid bass or risking bottoming the driver with too big of an enclosure.

2. I want to add an external Subsonic filter for safety reasons. I would really prefer to use just a single one into the single EP2500. Can I do that?

3. Where the do I get the sonotubes.

I am sure I will need more help but I am about to commit to sell my 2 month old pb13 Ultra and want to make sure before I give my buyer a yes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought some more info might be helpful.

The EP2500 was tested at 800+ watts into 2ohms when run in stereo. I think that sound perfect for this driver. Does that help with modeling it?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a bit confused. Why did you say tuned to 13hz but the sonotube program numbers were generated with 18hz written in. would you say 18hz is the lowest, safest overall most balanced tune for this woofer?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And it looks like from your number that I need to wire the driver to 4ohms to use the EP2500 which is fine.

Can I use a single low pass filter like the one you mentioned in the other thread i posted before the EP2500 for the two drivers?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet! I will have more questions I am sure.

This might be the first live build thread when all my stuff comes cause I literally might be sitting here asking questions at most steps haha.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike sorry to keep on asking but...

On the sonotube program you put up a screen shot of it has a 15" sound splinter driver listed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh OK I thought the woofers individual properties changed the dimensions and tuning needed.

I believe MKTheater built several of these with 24" sonotubes tuned to 14hz but I think his were 6' tall.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Oh OK I thought the woofers individual properties changed the dimensions and tuning needed.
WinISD determines the box volume and tuning frequency for a specific sub. Sonotube.exe determines the proper volume of a sonotube and the port length for a given box volume and tuning.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice I would give it a try so everyone can see.

MKtheater who built a bunch of these tubes warned me to be careful about the diameter of the sono's because they differ even when they claim to be the same size. I will have to bring the port with me when I get the sono for the port.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking over the Reckhorn and I am a bit confused.

The Bass boost frequency and High cut knob seem like problems you would need to bypass. Am I right? Do you just turn the bass boost to 150hz so it above the crossover anyway and doesn't see signal at that frequency to have an effect on? Then just turn the high cut off?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
3 Latest questions.

Where do you get SonoTubes?

If I end up locating them in different places could I get an external delay box for the closer sub and effectively control phase that way? What other solution is their to phase cancelation?

Would it be safe to tune it any lower or is there just no need?

This better be an upgrade from my PB13 Ultra ha I am so nervous to sell this thing.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
For sonotubes, look in the yellow pages under building supplies, concrete supplies and concete forming.

I'm not familiar with external delay boxes.

You can tune lower for more low end extension in a bigger box.

A pair of ED 19Ov.2's with an EP2500 will be an upgrade, no worries there.

190v.2 comparison.JPG

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow that is a hard decision. I like aspects of both - Oh well there is time to decide

Unfortunately I am scared I will be forced to co-locate because the phase or distance issue seems impossible to account for unless you just do a 180 switch. I really think that with this much power in such a small room I would be better served if I spaced them out for an even response but that would mean one would be close to me and might have cancellation.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts