Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Will the Earthquake Magma 15" be any good for home theatre use in seal or ported box?

I currently run the jaycar 350w amp and the jaycar venom 15 in a sealed box

Certainly more than enough spl but i want to clean the bass up as i have just upgraded to a thx avr and its starting to show up as a weakness from time to time in relation to delay and sometimes it can sound a bit muddy

I dont want to spend too much now, this is more like a small upgrade which i am hoping to keep the same amp and upgrade the driver and enclosure. I dont want the enclosure to be too big either

Any help is appreciated

I have an electrician friend who i may be able to convince to mod my amp to take away the 35hz booster if it actually makes that much of a difference.

http://www.earthquakesound.com/magma.htm
1500 Watts Max
FS=26Hz
Qms = 3.5313
Qes = 0.4603
Qts = 0.4072
VAS = .75Ft3
Xmax = 0.5"
85dB 1W/1M
Revc = 6.78
Levc = 6.3mH @ (1 kHz)
3" Dual Voice coil(2x3.2-ohms)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have you already purchased the magma? I only ask this because the Jaycar amps can only be wired to 4ohm and up which means you will only see 240w into 8 ohms.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not yet, im just looking at this driver because it is so cheap now. $250NZD which is around $130usd

·
Registered
262 Posts
With that amp you need to look for a dual 2 ohm Sub or a single 4 ohm sub to get the most out of the Jaycar Amp, But it would still work if you wanted to go with the magma.

The Jaycar 350w amps were by far there best plate amp and still are, but there are now discontinued.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This sub would only work with passive radiators as it models to 1.5 cu.ft tuned to 21 hz. The series wiring of a 8 ohm load means the amp will produce 175 watts to the sub. You'd be better off finding a different sub for your needs.
can you recommend a driver

·
Registered
11 Posts
One in the UK for 10L ($20 US) but the guy wants local pick up! Google got me to this thread. I do know they are discontinuing the 15 and releasing a newer 15X. So I am trying to find one of the discontinued ones at a deal. I think one of the voice coils in mine is bad as it has started to make distortion on higher demand. My buddy has the same sub and we switched the woofers and the issue follows the woofer not the sub. It is a SuperNova MK IV-15. It has the slap radiator. BA 202 amp I believe. Any recommendations on a replacement woofer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pulled the driver and it has a upc tag on it saying -

Magma 15
IMP 2 x 3.3
FS 24hz
QTS .450
VAS 8.7ft
RMS 500

That is extremely close to their specs.

And the pic looks the same.

Buddy's MKV-15 looked the same and I read Magma 15 on his driver label but I did not read or pay attention to the rest of the labels specs on his.

Dimensions are 17 1/4" x 17 1/4" x 17 1/4" on the outside. Looks to be 5/8" board

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is it. The speakers are not recessed so the extra inches are the depth the speakers need. The height difference is they included the feet. It should read 20 deep by 19 or 20 wide for the connections and 18 1/2 including the feet. My measurements are from my tape measure of the actual enclosure itself. And of course I doubt they sold any of those for that price. Maybe half that...
Thanks for your time, it is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did see that. But the Magma 12 showed 5.7? ft so I thought the .75 is a missprint and probably should be 7.5? It would not be the first time I was wrong though. Doubt it will be the last...

Can't find it now but I did see on one ad where they said Magma driver for the SuperNova. I can pull it back out again and send you a pic if it will help clarify.

Found the ad
http://www.federalstereo.com/easomksu2.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts