Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an existing 5.1, set up, HDMI from receiver, to TV etc. I have Phillips streaming device, for hearing aids. When the 5.1 speakers have sound, the hearing aids have a loud persistent echo.

Currently streaming device, connected to digital 'audio out' TV.

Would Sony STR-DH590, help? Should streaming device, be connected to TV or receiver?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,190 Posts
You could be getting some delay from the Phillips. Might help to connect it to the receiver instead of the TV, but can’t say for sure.

On the other hand, it might be just the reverse: Delay from the 5.1 speakers. You are hearing the hearing aids immediately, since they’re right there in your ears. But since the speakers are probably 10 ft. of more away, there’s a 10 ms (or longer) delay before the sound from them reaches your ears. So, you hear both the hearing aid and speakers, but since the sound from the latter arrives later, it sounds like an echo.

An easy way to check if this the problem, plug some headphones in to the receiver’s headphone jack. That will shut off the speakers. If the echo goes away, then you’ve found the problem

If that’s the case, the only fix would be an external device between the receiver and Phillips that could delay the signal to your hearing aids the 10 ms or more that you need.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the helpful comments! I talked with Phillips support, they say an adjustment on the hearing aids is required, for streaming, LESS Microphone, & MORE TV. After adj. if problem persists, I'll reply.

Note after calling, a bunch of home theater installers, two mentioned, there should be an app. for this, hence the call to Phillips

Thanks
Rico

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is very interesting, and similar to my experience in our theater, even though I do not use a hearing aid.

I like to run analog audio to the front L&R speakers for movie soundtracks, and run the center and all surrounds through the AV processor.

Doing this, there is a huge delay (echo). I would guess the delay in processed audio is nearly 1/4 to 1/2 second. This also causes the audio and video not be synced properly. Note there is zero audio delay with analog (non-processed) audio.

It is a great misconception that video processing is slower than audio processing. In each case in our house, the video leads the audio by a wide margin with the audio lagging way behind. But only on Blu-ray videos, or SD DVD's. Broadcast cable TV is pretty much Ok. This tells me the issue is in the player, not the AV processor.

Streaming YouTube videos through the player does the same thing, with the audio lagging behind.

It would appear that the hearing aid is getting straight analog non-processed audio. And this would be in perfect sync with the video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All,
Thank you for the comments!
I'm using: audio out TV tos link to Philips TV streamer, for hearing aids,SmartTV audio in Yamaha receiver, from Out Philips TV streamer. It works but echo, when 5.1 speakers are on for hearing people, makes TV streamer not usable.

My hillbilly workaround is: Hearing aids in ear > 37 NRR over ear earmuffs. It works, but sweaty hot ears, after awhile.

I'm surprised this common issue has not been addressed!
Knowing a delay "sound" exists between speakers/streaming, not a huge engineering problem, but who cares attitude. You would think headphones out TV, would provide sound for both commercial tv & smart tv, think again! Garbage engineering, milquetoast talk, from giants like Philips

$250.00 Philips streamer, remote control optional $100,00 your on your own, to connect SmartTV, no mention of ECHO. They claim iPhone app, solves all, JOKE, when demo-d to audiologist, after she adjusted, she suggested returning item.

Like I said, works great, speakers off, Wonderful , speakers on, I quit watching. Works very good, except hot sweaty ears, hearing protection ear muffs.

Complained to Philips + sent pic's with earmuffs on, how to enjoy TV streaming, while speaker are on. TV & Surronding, icon on iPhone are useless. Picture wheel chaired accesible sign, roll upto it, it has a 12" hurdle, to overcome, then smooth ramp.

I understand map plug "A" into "B" etc. Simple or semi simple workaround better than earmuffs, or bitch to, yeah one man's complaint, ain't gonna change much.

Thanks Guys <venting here>
Rico

Nice 5.1, I get with muffs tin-e sound.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here is a suggestion...quite serious, actually.

I do not know the degree of your hearing loss. But simply turn the volume up to where you can understand everything, dialogue, music, gun fire, explosions, etc.

Then have everyone else employ the small foam ear inserts, to reduce the sound level. They are very small, don't make you sweat, and very effective. I wore them when doing an exterior preflight inspection of the 777, while other jet engines were running. These blocked the noise. My wife and I wear them anytime we attend a concert.

That is what I would do. No echo, everyone (including you!) will hear and enjoy the program.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You! Doesn't quite work that way, indeed turning the volume up, I still miss speech dialogue, hearing loss in the speech region. Based on my audio-gram, enhances the weak range, whereas volume raises everything, so loud or soft still it's, What did he say?. I have a really nice Sennheiser head phones, dial choose which frequency to enhance. It's problem, as you enhance more the volume, gets softer & softer, I can hear, but so soft, I would fall asleep, it was like someone softly in your ear.

Thanks Again, Happy Thanksgiving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts