Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. Can someone please confirm the orientation of the ECM 8k mic for use with REW? I've been told that it should be pointed vertically when measuring? Is this correct? I've been using it horizontally.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi Bob,

Didn't you like the answer Wayne and I gave you last month? What are you trying to measure now? Wayne's second link in particular discusses how the ECM8000 characteristics vary above 3kHz between horizontal and vertical, so if you are measuring higher frequencies than that, you need to use the orientation that matches the mic calibration file you are using, and the generic file was was generated horizontally.

Cheers,
Bill

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob,

Didn't you like the answer Wayne and I gave you last month? What are you trying to measure now? Wayne's second link in particular discusses how the ECM8000 characteristics vary above 3kHz between horizontal and vertical, so if you are measuring higher frequencies than that, you need to use the orientation that matches the mic calibration file you are using, and the generic file was was generated horizontally.

Cheers,
Bill
Hi Bill. I'm sorry about asking this question again! I actually forgot that I asked this earlier. I just got confused because a friend stated I had to use the mic vertically to get the correct readings and so I second guessed my self, again...:ponder: Sorry-please disregard and no, now I am not going to remeasure. Only thought I had to and it would seem I do not need to.

Thanks again Bill.

Bob

·
Registered
678 Posts
You may not want to know how I keep my self from re-investigating something. As I was measuring things, I developed a Word document to serve as an engineering notebook, with questions to be studied, results, analysis and criticism of past experiments, and thoughts for further experiments. It is now more than 300 pages, with a table of contents and a cross reference so I can find things.

Truly overkill, but what happens as one gets older and cannot remember anything unless it is written down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts