Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I'm looking to build my 3rd diy sub. A major hurdle for me is selecting the amp. I do not have a driver in mind yet. But i'm curious of which amp to get between ED 1300 watt sub plate amp or Behinger 2500 or 4000. Is one better than the other? if so, why? i'm not pro with amps or subs, so keep it simple please.

I'm looking for something that's louder and or better than the sdx15. Any suggestions for a canadian? I wouldn't mind looking for something that it available in canada.

Room is approx 350 sqf. I would like to keep the box size under 5 cuft. I want to feel the bass in my chest. As for the cost? something around $1,000 for driver and amp would be good.

Equipment so far:
Denon avr 2310
Axiom m80s v2
Axiom v150 center
1990 Technics rear surrond

Thanks all

·
Registered
704 Posts
I do not like the Behringer amps, but they work well for many people. Try contacting Bob at CSS. He carries several subwoofer plate amps, and his drivers are top-notch as you already know if you're using an SDX15. Perhaps you simply need to use a larger amp, or build a new enclosure for your existing driver?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually i don't have a sdx 15. I had a adire audio tempest 15" with 500 watt plate that was not enough, so i was thinking the sdx would probably be a bit better, but possibly not what i'm looking for.

What are your reasonings for not liking behinger?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I owned a Behringer EP1500 and an A500. Both were exceptionally noisy (both signal noise in the audio spectrum and because of fan noise) and neither was anywhere near as powerful as advertised. But like I said, many people really like them because they do offer a lot of output for the price, and there are mods available to quiet down the jet engine fans.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Interesting point dyohn.

How do you realise the signal noise you mention, and what adverse effects does it have on the eventual sound produced. I ask as I have an EP4000 I'm going to use to power a DIY effort (2 x 1000 watts req'd). If there is something similar I could use that could be better, I'd certainly like to take a look.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I measured the amps outputs using an o-scope. The A500 produced nearly 25% THD at rated output into a resistive load, and yes it did sound terribly noisy running full range. The EP1500 was not quite as bad and since it was powering a subwoofer high distortion like that is far less noticeable, but the fans were unacceptably loud to me. Use the 4000 and if it suits your requirements then that's all that matters, eh?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I owned a Behringer EP1500 and an A500. Both were exceptionally noisy (both signal noise in the audio spectrum and because of fan noise) and neither was anywhere near as powerful as advertised
and,
I measured the amps outputs using an o-scope. The A500 produced nearly 25% THD at rated output into a resistive load, and yes it did sound terribly noisy running full range...
Sounds like something is wrong with your A500s. I have 3. They have no fans and are therefore dead silent acoustically. They also have no noise electrically even with my ear next to the speaker. Agreed continuous power is down compared to rated specs (about 190watts versus 230watts into 4ohm load) but distortion stays under 0.1% up until it clips, this is into real world complex loads. My biggest concern would be build quality and QC but that's probably true of a lot of these amps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes, the fan noise problem was with the Ep1500. Perhaps my A500 was defective, but not only was the THD unacceptably high the S/N was very low and there was plenty of audible distortion driving 8-ohm loads. If it was unique to the sample I had then perhaps it speaks more about their quality consistency than to their design.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
actually i don't have a sdx 15. I had a adire audio tempest 15" with 500 watt plate that was not enough, so i was thinking the sdx would probably be a bit better, but possibly not what i'm looking for.
The SDX15 is miles ahead of the original Adire Tempest. Your box size of under 5 cu.ft. is going to be a problem without the use of Passive Radiators.

Regarding amps, you'll will need a hi pass filter which the plate amp has and the Pro Audio amp doesn't have. You can get an add on unit like the Reckhorn B1 for under $100.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so by the looks of it i might as well get a hspa1000 plate amp and build to the specs on the creativesound.ca website that include 2x prs... The only thing is, i've read reviews of the sdx15 and people are dissappointed with the performance (maybe when they first came out). And i've also had a look at the reviews on this site for the sdx. I'm just concerned that I won't be happy with it.. I've also read that most of the plate amps over state their power rating also. I just can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if i increase the box size with a hpsa 1000 watt plate amp will the spl increase substantially? 3db? 6 db? if i have to add 1 or 2 cuft so be it...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yes, the fan noise problem was with the Ep1500. Perhaps my A500 was defective, but not only was the THD unacceptably high the S/N was very low and there was plenty of audible distortion driving 8-ohm loads. If it was unique to the sample I had then perhaps it speaks more about their quality consistency than to their design.
The A500 has a known defect at 3khz. Which would be a nightmare to any full ranger. I'd suggest it only for subs.

Replacing the fan is trivial and take less than 5 minutes. The instructions are on this sight somewhere actually, but if you want a great amp I suggest the Yamaha P series amps. Stone quiet and very high quality. Somethings are worth the extra money. This is one of them IMO.

The ep2500 is a step up from the 1500 I believe, but the ep4000 is the same exact amp. Another option is to build your own amp. There are kits available at 41hz for assembly. I plan to build 3 amps for my future 3-way. I dream of it. HiFi RTI 1 unfaced with a Infinity MRS driver and a TC sounds 8" bottom.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A 24" cube with a pair of CSS 15" PR's is about 6.2 cu.ft. With room gain you can expect 120 db at 20 hz which is excellent for a "small" package.

View attachment 17624

Mike thanks for the graph. Is that running off a 1000 watts? I'm leaning more towards the plate amp. I can't get my hands on the behringer power amp quick enough to my liking.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you get the ED LT1300 plate amp, you'll be pleased. I've had mine for well over a year and it performs very well indeed. It's convenient, has rca inputs, no noise, takes only .30cf of space, etc. I read a while back that it did a maximum of 1,331 watts and it did over 1,200 watts at 12hz, not bad. The only negative I see is its price. I got mine for $350 (it's now $450) and the new version is the same but has a high pass filter at 18hz if I'm not mistaken, the original one did not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i've been reading posts on avsforums about plate amps about over rating the power on amplifiers... not impressed...

Mike, would a malestrom x 18" with a ep2500 murder the sdx 15?

I've had a adire audio tempest about 5 years ago, and i'm not sure if the malestrom x has the tinsel lead slapping problem like the tempest did?

Thanks for all the advice.. i will post pics when i start building.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Has/Had there ever been subjective output tests on Adire's ADA plate amps?

I have a gen/1 ADA 1200, which had a coupling cap failure and was re-built and upgraded to their last iteration.

Prior to the rebuild, it did exhibit a tiny hum, but when it was shipped back to me last Feb. (IIRC...), it was so "dead-quiet" upon connecting and powering it up that I actually thought the technician neglected to actually repair it.

Was I wrong, it's been phenomenal since.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts