Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been browsing the hts forums for several years, started about 7 years ago with experimenting with the OSX version of REW in my dorm room, but just got around to registering for an account now that I am in the process of building my theater space in my new house.

I am wanting to start a build for the 19Ov.2. I bought it used about 4 years ago and one of the voice coils was blown. I had it replaced under warranty and now have the dual 2 ohm version. I am powering it with a behringer ep2500. It is currently in a 2 cu ft sealed box that I got with the sub when I bought it and I have been too lazy/moving between apartments for the past 4 years and did not have the room to go bigger.

Now that I moved into a house of my own I am wanting to build a ported sub box for my 18" eD. I tried searching here and on avsforum for a recommended box for this sub but really the only one I found that interested me was NEODAN's easy button max build. However modeling with winISD it seems like the 11-14hz tuning of the port would be a little lower than ideal for the eD. Also, while the size is decent, I think I can come up with a design that would fit my space better. Right now I am leaning towards a box that could go behind my first row couch that would be disguised as a sofa table. The dimensions I was thinking of are 30"x48"x12" HxWxD. I think that gets me pretty close to 8 cu ft interior volume before subtracting port volume, bracing, and the sub itself.

I have seen conflicting T/S parameters for this sub to use when modeling an enclosure. Does anyone have some insight on which parameters to use for the dual 2 ohm version?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was thinking of doing a slot port tuned to around 17-20hz. This will be 95% for movies in my theater, although I occasionally listen to music it is a lower priority for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I THINK that both version 1 and version 2 were offered in dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm. I have version 2, dual 4 ohm. I could be wrong about version 1 because I didn't get mine or do any research on them until they were on version 2.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
That test was done 5 years ago and there's no guarantee it's correct. Lots of people have built subs with the published parameters with no problems.

8 cu.ft. works but I personally wouldn't tune it lower than 20 hz. Modeling shows 1000 watts input with a HPF at 16 hz (which you will need). Porting would be three 4" flared ports each being 29" long.

Text Technology Line Screenshot Electronic device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you say you wouldn't tune below 20hz?

Would those cabinet dimensions I mentioned work? (30"x48"x12" HxWxD) Would it be weird to have the sub mounted on the largest face of the cabinet? I was thinking of doing a slot port on the end 90 degrees from the sub but would 3x 4" flared ports be better?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.