Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
And... playing dumb can be the better part of being smart!
I think jtalden once said something to the effect that "Forgiveness is easier than permission." :whistling:

Well, I may have to push my luck because WAF says the albums stay. After clearing the room of extra furniture/clutter and re-arranging album crates against the back wall to make room for the new HT seats, it's become clear that properly locating the mains is going to be as serious an issue as it was before. Extending the bass traps from ceiling-to-floor will eat up valuable floor space that was previously occupied by the sub. Maybe measurements will show the traps aren't needed. Maybe not. In any case it's going to be a rough experiment, because the traps won't be easily removed when there's an equipment rack on one side and a speaker on the other. The speaker will have to be moved to excavate the bottom trap, which makes for poor repeatability. Suggestions and/or comments are welcome and very much appreciated!

This main is shown 3.5ft off the front wall:
IMG_1911.jpg

The same main sits 6.75ft from the back "wall" of crates:
IMG_1914.jpg

The seats' full upright position have B=3ft 2in and full recline D=5ft 10in:
seatcraft-trenton-main-image_4.jpg product-side-view.jpg

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
First, I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm just venting. Please skip to the next post if you're sensitive to negativity.

Start :rant:
...But this is my life, and last weekend slathered icing on a moldy cake. Best Buy's Geek Squad was supposed to install my TV wall mount on Saturday during a 4-hour window (I've gone DIY couple times without incident, but my current TV will be a seriously heavy piece of hardware suspended over seriously expensive gear. A mishap would be devastating!). Anyway, the plan was to have the A/V rack present and assembled in time to properly position the TV above the center channel. Also, express delivery would allow me to reassemble the system and run some preliminary tests with REW to familiarize myself with time domain measurements. So having put other plans aside AND having paid for overnight delivery of the A/V rack, I waited for Geek Squad's arrival. As the last few minutes of my 4-hour window ticked by, I finally decided to call and was told - after being redirected twice for a total 23 minute hold time - that I had to reschedule. Their reason vaguely hinted at an absentee installer. Trying not to go ballistic, I firmly but politely explained how lame that was, especially since I had called the night before to confirm. I then asked why nobody had bothered to inform the affected customers. Silence. I should have cancelled and hired someone else, but was able to squeeze a substantial discount out of them. Let's see if they show up Wednesday. I can only envision scenes out of the movie Money Pit: "Two weeks, two weeks!"
End :rant:

I guess I shouldn't complain because there are much worse things in life. But on my behalf, my 3-4 hour daily commute seriously undermines my free time.
Thanks for letting me vent!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Vent away Lou! You're right. There are worse things in life, but that doesn't mean that it's ok what happened to you. I deleted my own rant that I was going to bolster yours with, but just know I agree. And wish I cousins a wake up call to the brain donors who run these things.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Wish you the best my friend. Ifin you were home today I could help you with that as I am going through your area today on the way up north. Oh well, I m still sorry for your issue.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I guess I shouldn't complain because there are much worse things in life. But on my behalf, my 3-4 hour daily commute seriously undermines my free time.
Thanks for letting me vent!
If I had to commute for 3-4 hours a day, I'd be pretty depressed as well!.. I get annoyed if I'm travelling for just an hour! :hissyfit:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The kind people here are holding back I think. I realize there are people with different skill sets. Some are handy with building projects, others not. I guess that's what keeps service-oriented companies and contractors in business.

So I am really helping save the economy, don't you think?!

Let's see if Geek Squad shows up this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
:clap: :nerd: Geek Squad Installation a success! :nerd: :clap:
The crew showed up at the beginning of my 4-hour window and proceeded to blitzkrieg through the installation. I'll be posting pics later today - how exciting, eh?

:foottap: :foottap: Seats Arrive Safely... NOT! :foottap: :foottap:
Well, I'll make up for that with some pics of my pallett of HT seats that arrived this morning. Once again I was first on the list! Someone was asleep at the wheel of the forklift, though. Both seats were damaged; one was just scraped, but the other was punctured through the footrest. Not to worry, though. The carrier said he's never had to return one. You get to keep it because it's cheaper for the the manufacturer to just ship a new one!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Someone was asleep at the wheel of the forklift, though. Both seats were damaged; one was just scraped, but the other was punctured through the footrest. Not to worry, though. The carrier said he's never had to return one. You get to keep it because it's cheaper for the the manufacturer to just ship a new one!
Some Gorilla tape on the damage and your good to go. Thats a great score if they just leave them behind for you.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So Lou. Do you get a free seat?
Hope so! Have to wait and see what they say after emailing my pics tonight. I didn't want to presume they'd agree.
Some Gorilla tape on the damage and your good to go. Thats a great score if they just leave them behind for you.
I wonder how much I could get on the pre-owned market? Now that's counting my chickens before they hatch!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
LOL, yup that stuff is great.
I have a cousin who taped his entire leather couch that was worn out with that stuff to prolong its life. It literally held it together for years before they finally bought a new one.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Glad you could tune back in to "As Lou's World Turns!" :D

This week we find Looney Lou chomping at the bit trying to contact the HT seating company about major issues with the delivery. It's not bad enough someone drove a forklift through the footrest of one, but neither seat is powered! It has a worm-drive, motor, and USB ports - but no AC adapter, power cord, recline switches, or any place to plug in a power cord.

My agent has left for the day, and other reps say I need to contact her. SIGH.

IMG_1923.jpg IMG_1922.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1925.jpg
IMG_1926.jpg IMG_1980.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg IMG_1988.jpg

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
There is a word that comes to my mind when I see stupidity like this but I will not repeat it.
I am sorry Lou, this must be like a blow to the head, especially the excitement you had with everything finally falling in line for the green room. :frown:

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
It is only on the footrest...if so you could most likely remove the foot rest and replace the leather yourself or take it to a local upholstery shop and get it repaired for a hundred or less. Never hurts to have a free chair. :T

Even if you don't need them...spare parts for free!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Either the trucker is mistaken or my situation is unique, because the company wants the chair back. They say the footrest can be repaired, but not swapped out. There might be hidden damage to the frame or electronics, so I opted for a replacement. They also said they'll compensate me for my troubles, but don't have any details on that yet. Can you say, "Don't hold your breath"?

Pics of the new room layout coming soon.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Wow Lou. That stinks a little. Guess the new guy shouldn't drive the forklift. I've owned and operated my own forklifts for 15 Years, and I've never speared a skid that bad. Just like your first attempt at the wall mount. People need to wake up. And get slapped up too.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts