UPDATES:
  • After talking to a different HT seating rep, they are
    • Shipping me a new chair
    • Not making me return the damaged one
    • Sending two neck pillows as consolation for my troubles
  • Implemented multi-channel on laptop for REW
  • Discovered malfunctioning tweeter
  • Conducted subwoofer tests with incorrect loudness setting
So yeah that's a mixed bag, but good for the most part. The seating company finally did the right thing. And I have AudiocRaver to thank for keeping this lightning-fast thread rolling. His troubleshooting procedure saved me days of debug time getting ASIO4ALL to play nicely with Windows audio. Not sure what happened to the tweeter or exactly when. I think I got caught up in swapping cables for REW measurements JAVA-style, and forgot to first power-down the processor/amp. A replacement driver is on its way. Until then, I've been trying to find the best location for the sub. I wound up with a pile of data and a ton of frustration when I found out that LOUDNESS had been engaged the entire time. That meant the Fletcher-Munson curve was applied during frequency response measurements, but NOT during Dirac Live calibration. I don't think that setup is valid, do you?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
No Lou, not with loudness compensation engaged, it does not seem to be a realistic expectation. It would seem that the bass would be enhanced at all levels when engaged and that would imo most certainly throw off your technical measurements. Can you bypass any and all settings when listening to home theater as would be experienced when the Dirac is engaged ??

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Throwing-off measurements seems very probable when the FR is skewed by AVR settings before even getting started. Fortunately, there are modes that bypass certain functions (and combinations of functions). The trick during REW measuring is to make sure the right mode is selected for the combination of channels under test. Swapping cables and manipulating the source signal are required for non-HDMI functionality - not much fun crawling around in cramped quarters with a flashlight sweating on yourself because you're too fat and old for this! Light speed? NOT!!

non-HDMI.PNG

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
The new tweeter is installed and operational. Hyper-awareness of pre calibration settings is engaged (LOUDNESS OFF, SPEAKERS SMALL, SUB SLOPE 12 or 24 dB/octave). Listening tests have been conducted, and LCR speakers positioned for best SS&I. Surround speakers were left in their previous compromised locations due to room constraints. Acoustic wall panels were added at 1st and 2nd reflection points per subjective testing, but can be moved/removed per your recommendations. I think that just about covers room tuning preparation, and I'm anxious to get started again!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
This last weekend was like boot camp. Although I was able to get the ASIO4ALL HDMI configuration running on the laptop, I grew a yellow streak at the last minute because it wasn't stable and I didn't want to take the chance of frying my new tweeter. So instead of having a nice signal switcher at my fingertips, I did the STOP DROP and ROLL dance to get from changing physical connections to working the laptop.

It's all good and was well worth it! I've learned a lot so far, and look forward to learning more. My wife and I are now in good shape to enjoy movies and music together without straining to hear dialog, and without spraining our backs laying on the floor. I've overstayed my welcome on this project and need to get back to taxes, but I'll return to finish what I started.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Last weekend found me in a flurry of measurement and listening activity. Attempts to tame the ragged center channel response yielded slight improvements. Another bass trap along with a lower crossover frequency helped make the graph look nicer, but took SQ further from my goal of punchy bass with crisp dialogue. Details can be found in my Sound Renovation and Fix My Center threads.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts