Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess is time for my to start my HT construction thread.....:dontknow: After getting tired at looking my garage being converted from a fine automotive storage facility to a full time house junk alternate re-localization site I said no more to my wife... Yeah right!!! Jajajaja. NOT!!! I kindly suggested to her that we needed a bigger family room for the grand kids. Around the beginning of the year I decided (she gave me permission) :D to build "our" HT and started looking in the Net for information. I found a couple of sites that had great information on the subject and this is one of the best. With a lot of nice people driving towards the same goals, making a better home theater. So... this is it!! "El teatro de Abu" or Granpa's Home Theater construction thread.

Although I have been working on construction management for around 15 years, most of my experience is in the industrial and telecom side of it. Let see how this goes....

I already been working on his for about a month so you will see some progress. This is a drawing of my original garage.

Technical drawing Plan Floor plan Diagram Drawing

And this the floor plan for the HT.

Plan Technical drawing Diagram Drawing Design

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Awesome, I love theater build threads!!! Keep the pictures coming! :T
What size will the theater end up being?

matt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to keep it around 19' X 14' X 8'. I don't have too much space to work with. Have to keep a small utility room and some closet space. All walls are 6" reinforced concrete and are integral part of the house and support members. So those will stay as they are.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
That can turn into a nice room for sure. There are people who would die to have that much space.

Bryan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bryan, I know that space is in a premium in modern houses. The only place I got to build something like a HT is in that garage. It was a miracle that wife agreed with this. I'm going to try my best with this build out.

I also have seen your acoustics handy work in a lot of the HT's around here and I'm sure I could use some of that in this build. I'm already planning to install some bass traps in both front corners and behind the rear seats, 1 1/2" acoustic foam in the lower portions of the walls (covered with fabric) and 0C703 on the front wall.

Soon some pictures.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. So, let's start demolishing that closet wall. It should be easy!!! Yeah... right.. And after 6 hours....:sweat: Floor Flooring Wood Tile Hardwood

The whole thing is down. Half the concrete is in the floor and the other half is in black plastic bags to comply with wife's and HOA's regulations.......
Wall Soil Wood Rock Plaster

Metal Plastic

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the lousy iphone pictures.... I'm the one taking the pictures...... I don't have a better camera..... The photographer is on vacation...... Wife is using the camera.........MMMMmmm..... Ok.ok.ok.... I was too tired to get the good camera upstairs.....:thud: Maybe next time....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New pictures.... With decent camera... If they don't look good it is all my fault....:dontknow:

Gate side wall:

Wall Wood Plywood Tile Floor

Wall Property Room Plaster Floor

Wall

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Already started with the electricals.... Does anybody knows of a Green Glue distributor in this part of the woods? Shipping it by UPS or Fed Ex to the Island is really expensive!!!!:yikes:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts