Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the monoprice 135" electric screen. I hard wired it but i dont like the switch that it comes with. At school they have electric screens that seem to use what seem to be decora switches. Are there special switches out there the i can use? a 3 way rocker?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi kemmer,

Welcome to the Shack!

If you know how your screen is wired I guess you could use any switch that meets those specifications. Many 3-way switches are available at hardware stores and home improvement centers.

An alternate idea that has a high 'coolness factor' would be to get the wireless controller for your screen shown here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Anyone aware of a wireless 3 way solution that uses IR instead of RF?

Basically looking for exactly what Harpmaker suggested but IR.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Anyone aware of a wireless 3 way solution that uses IR instead of RF?

Basically looking for exactly what Harpmaker suggested but IR.
That could be a bit hard to find. I just spent about 20 min. searching on the 'net and the only ones I could find are all "passive" IR switches (the switch turns on automatically when someone walks into the room).

May I ask why RF won't work for you? Just curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you know how your screen is wired I guess you could use any switch that meets those specifications. Many 3-way switches are available at hardware stores and home improvement centers.

An alternate idea that has a high 'coolness factor' would be to get the wireless controller for your screen shown here.
Thats actually not true, They do not make theses switches readily available. If you ask a for a 3 way switch you get a switch that is wired to another switch with a dimmer-Not what i need.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thats actually not true, They do not make theses switches readily available. If you ask a for a 3 way switch you get a switch that is wired to another switch with a dimmer-Not what i need.
One is a type of physical switch, the other is a wiring technique. I believe the switch you are looking for is on this page somewhere, I don't know if it's the regular or the grounding 3-way switch. :dontknow:

If the switch you need isn't there, you will have to go to a store that specializes in electrical supplies.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A single 3-way switch as listed from homedepot will not work in this scenario.

For a lift you need 3 current options and the 3 way switches shown in the example only provide 2.

I do believe one could use a pair of switches (either regular or 3 way) and achive the needed travel.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have seen proper three way switches at Home Depot as well (momentary on) they are spring loaded so they only give power when pressed up or down otherwise they stay in the center position.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I have seen proper three way switches at Home Depot as well (momentary on) they are spring loaded so they only give power when pressed up or down otherwise they stay in the center position.
Ahhhh, now I understand. I didn't get the 'momentary' part of the equation.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You can get the non spring loaded switches as well but you need to make sure the limits are set properly on the screen. Ive seen nice Decora type switches but I cant remember if it was at Home depot or Rona. Lows may have them as well.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I think this might be the switch kemmer is looking for.

Single Pole Double Throw - Center Off.
Switch rated at 15 Amps / 120-277 Volts.
Momentary Contact in both directions.
Back & Side wired terminals.
Accepts solid or stranded conductors.
10 year limited warranty.

http://www.laner.com/cgi-bin/wwiz.a...CH|pcat=SWITCH4&pcat=SWITCH4&x2=20&sku=117424

http://leviton2713.com/le15ampsider.html

Or use your favorite search engine to look for "Leviton 5657-2W"

There are just too many switches called '3-way switches' with no other info.:gulp:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yup, thats the one funny thing is the picture/diagram of the switch is not correct however the description is.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Yup, thats the one; funny thing is the picture/diagram of the switch is not correct however the description is.
Yeah, I was wondering about that.

I'll be out and about tomorrow; I think I'll go to Home Depot or Lowe's (maybe both) and see if I can find such a beast.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I didn't get to Home Depot, but I was to Lowe's today. I didn't see any single switches that would work. If one needs one of these, I think the best bet would be to order direct from Leviton. However; if it was one of those "I need it right now!" kinda things; Lowe's does have 2-way momentary switches (designed for disposals); two of these could be used - one for up and one for down. The total cost would be about the same as the single Leviton switch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts