Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of dropping the gun on a shiva gen 1 before it's gone, but thought I'd look around at what other company's 12's offered. A rep at ED stated the E3.12 would compare with the Shiva, but I am skeptical as while it appears to model almost identically in a 3.6ft^3 20hz sonosub, unless I'm mistaken, the xmax one-way for the Shiva is 27mm and the E3.12 is 16mm?! Max rated power of the shiva is 600w and the E3.12 is 500w. With 500w input from my old svs plate amp, the shiva would not reach xmax while the E3.12 would reach it closer to 450w. The other difference I note is the shiva's claimed weight is 31 lbs while the E3.12's is only 14 lbs. How could these be specs be even close? Interestingly, ED offers another 12, the E5.12 that weighs 25 lbs, handles 1000w and appears to be more similar (to me) in some respects to the shiva.
Additionally, the price difference is ~$33 total. So, is the extra potential extension needed/worth it and would sound quality and output really be nearly equal in all regards except power handling given the 500w amp? In other words, is the shiva more than I need in this design? Thanks for any feedback:nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only way that could be possible with less Xmax is if the E.D. sub is more efficient, not something I would bet on.
The shiva comes in at 86.3 db 1w/1m (89.1 dB 2.83Vrms, while the E3.12 shows 88.5 db spl (doesn't show whether it is at 1w/1m or 2.83Vrms) so...:dontknow: I think the rep thought the amp could run two of the E3.12's although their site shows it in the recommended input power albeit at the upper end...however, 500w seems recommended for the shiva.

Mike, I know the shiva is held in high regard, but would the E3.12 be just the right fit for the amp, or would the shiva have better sound as it would be operating well within its limits? I guess what I'm looking for is as close a driver to substitute for the svs 12.3 driver that was mated to the amp from the original PC12 Plus (for the least $ of course) as my enclosure will be narrower, yet taller, but will have the nearly the same volume as the PC12 Plus. I might add that I won't ever be upgrading the amp.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If it was a 13 in. like some of ED's other subs, it might compete with a lesser xmax, but not if it has a comparable SD.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was a 13 in. like some of ED's other subs, it might compete with a lesser xmax, but not if it has a comparable SD.
It has 545cm^2 vs the shiva's 506cm^2 and I'm not familiar with this measure and what would represent a significant difference. Looks like the shiva; now I'll have to decide on size and # of ports.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two E3.12's on their way! After tinkering with the Mal-X in my HT I'm satisfied in there and feel it is pretty well covered. Elemental Designs offered me an add'l discount:bigsmile: I can make two E3.12 sonotubes for only $130 more than one shiva sonotube, so I'll do that and likely sell my svs cs12-nsd and go all diy sub:bigsmile:
I thought about using a 4.5-5" port, but no luck finding any (any suggestions?), but I guess I can use 3" x 36" mailing tubes from Staples for ports. Looks like (3) 3" ports, between 27" & 36" long will do the trick. Figuring whether to have a 21 hz tuning, or be able to tune it to 24hz with the ability to use a single plug for 19hz tuning.
If I could use screenshot, I'd post the model here:wits-end: Suffice to say, the difference occurs around 24.5hz, where the spl differences occur. The plugged version models almost the same as the 21hz tune, and I would likely use these for music anyway, and the higher tune increases output in the music range, so I can use less power. Since the amps I have do not have eq ability, I'm thinking the tune option would be favorable. Sound like a plan?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the air speeds like?
With one port plugged (19hz) air speed is 27m/s at 18hz, 420w ([email protected])
With no port plugged (24hz) air speed is 22.5m/s at 24hz, 500w (just<[email protected])

With 19.5hz tune air speed is 25m/s at 18hz, 450w (xmax reached @ 15,35hz)
(I figured this one with (5) 2" ports in an attempt to maximize spl with max input without surpassing xmax while maintaining a low tune and having acceptable airspeed)

The multi-tune sonotube's outputs cross at 23hz, with one plug up [email protected] and the no plug up [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], then flattening out

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only shortcoming I've found is I won't be able to run the two ED's with the lone svs amp very well as dual 2ohm drivers would be either 4+4=8 or .5+.5=1, right? I'm sure the amp could run them, but how much loss in input power would there be?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts