Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lunette, Elite's Curved Frame projection Screen

Cerritos, California. August 11, 2010 - Elite's Lunette has a special curve design that directly enhances the aesthetic appeal of the presentation by giving its viewers the sensation of being physically drawn into the film. As an added benefit, the curve design eliminates the "pincushion effect" commonly experienced when projecting in a 2.35:1 (Widescreen) format.
more on this here...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lunette, Elite's Curved Frame projection Screen

more on this here...
Any news on the screen? I was looking into it since it comes in the AcousticPro material and 16:9 format. Do you need any special lens to use the screen or a regular lens on the LG CF181D would work? I seen a guy on YouTube use the LG on a screen he custom made and it was in the 2:35:1 format and curved like the Lunette. Looked absolutely awesome!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I reviewed a solid Lunette screen for Widescreen Review magazine in a recent issue. You can subscribe online ($15/yr last time I looked) and read current and past reviews or subscribe to the printed magazine (costs more) or purchase a back issue of the magazine. It's a good screen, though the whole acoustically transparent issue... that's something else entirely different. I reviewed the solid Lunette screen material. I'm not sure that the screen is still a "Lunette" screen if you specify a curved frame with acoustically transparent material (might be, just not sure). Be aware that manufacturer gain specs for acoustically transparent screens are overstated by typically .3-.2... so an acoustically transparent screen with a stated gain of 1.0 is probably closer to 0.75 gain than it is to 1.0.

You can use a curved screen with any projector lens... the curve of the screen tends to make the left and right sides of the screen sharper than you get from flat screens. But that can be a small difference and not particularly visible since we tend to focus on the center area of the screen, seeing the edges only in peripheral vision most of the time.

One issue I had with the Lunette screens is that they didn't, at the time I reviewed it, have legs available from the factory so you had to hang it on a wall or improvise your own free-standing support system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I reviewed a solid Lunette screen for Widescreen Review magazine in a recent issue. You can subscribe online ($15/yr last time I looked) and read current and past reviews or subscribe to the printed magazine (costs more) or purchase a back issue of the magazine. It's a good screen, though the whole acoustically transparent issue... that's something else entirely different. I reviewed the solid Lunette screen material. I'm not sure that the screen is still a "Lunette" screen if you specify a curved frame with acoustically transparent material (might be, just not sure). Be aware that manufacturer gain specs for acoustically transparent screens are overstated by typically .3-.2... so an acoustically transparent screen with a stated gain of 1.0 is probably closer to 0.75 gain than it is to 1.0.

You can use a curved screen with any projector lens... the curve of the screen tends to make the left and right sides of the screen sharper than you get from flat screens. But that can be a small difference and not particularly visible since we tend to focus on the center area of the screen, seeing the edges only in peripheral vision most of the time.

One issue I had with the Lunette screens is that they didn't, at the time I reviewed it, have legs available from the factory so you had to hang it on a wall or improvise your own free-standing support system.
Those are all really good points. I am coming to find out that the acoustic screen just isn't that great on any frame, curved or flat. According to what I have been told, 3D is horrible on those types of screens and now of course the misinterpreted gain for the lunette series. Maybe I will just stay with a flat acousticpro and change later when I have enough wall space to put surface mounted speakers next to the screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The issue with screen gain being understated is not an issue with the Lunette (silod screen materials). The problem is that ALL acoustically transparent screens from ALL manufacturers seem to have over-stated gain specs from the manufacturer. In fact, the screen I reviewed recently, Seymour-Screen Excellence Enlightor-4K is a REALLY interesting material, but they had to decide between stating the "real" gain for the screen or measure other acoustically transparent screens and slot their specified gain into position so that if somebody was looking at a.t. screens they wouldn't be put off by a screen with a manufacturer gain spec about 0.3 lower than all the other a.t. screens. The screens they measured were all spec'd in the range of 1.0-1.16, but they all measured 0.72-0.8. So their "public" gain became 0.98 rather than the actual 0.7 I measured. The Seymour-Screen Excellence Enlightor-4K material is fabric, but it's not woven, the fibers are somehow laid down in a completely random pattern and there are no visible holes in the surface at all. In fact, the material is so "hole-less" that they say is it ideal for 4K projection systems (2K projection has slightly higher resolution than HD, so 4K has FAR more pixels per frame. This material doesn't roll off highs either, it reduces the level of EVERYTHING going through it by about 2 dB so there's no equalization needed, you just increase the volume of the speakers behind the screen by 2 dB and you're good to go. It works fine for 3D---though because the real gain is only 0.7, you need some serious light output from the projector to have images bright enough to be satisfying. If your projection setup has about 15 fL for 100% white in 2-D mode, when you measure 100% white in 3-D mode through a lens of the 3-D glasses with the glasses turned on (of course) you'll probably measure somewhere between 2 and 3 fL for 100% white. I've seen measurements as low as 1.8 fL for 100% white in 3-D mode... so things get REALLY dark... and that was on a REAL 1.0 gain screen, not a lower-gain acoustically transparent screen. I have to say I liked having the speakers in the center of the screen and behind the screen... but to be able to live with an a.t. screen, I'd want to be sure I had PLENTY of light from the projector for 3-D viewing. I find good 3D at home is better than the best 3D I've seen in movie theaters, even in IMAX theaters, so it's a pretty cool viewing experience at home (if the projector is good at 3D), but not when the screen is painfully dim. There was a surprising property of the Enlightor-4 material -- but you'd have to read the review to find out what that is... I can't give away EVERYTHING here! LOL!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Curved screens for home theater aren't curved enough to create obvious problems with straight lines. The radius of curvature is 40 feet (may be some variation from manufacturer to manufacturer). So, compared to a flat screen of the same width, the curved screen ends are only a few inches forward from the flat screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Doug, I have an entry level elite sable 120" projector screen with a epson 5010 projector
In a room with no ambient light, I was looking to upgrade to a better screen in about a 1000 budget,
Do you think the lunette series would be an upgrade do you have any other screen suggestions. The projectors 14ft away. Thank you for your time, any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't get to spend a great deal of time with lots of different screens. For example, I've never seen an Elite Sable screen at all, either in my room or in the room of a calibration customer. So I can't really say what kind of differences there might be with the Lunette screen. You might ask Elite about that kind of question... I think they'd give you an honest summary of what to expect between the two screen materials.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts