Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

841 - 856 of 856 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
Yup, pretty hard to beat a $100 EV DH1A compression driver in a 2 way setup. My friend is running the same driver in a small horn with La Scala bass bin, and his sound great too.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
I used a MINIDSP 2x4 for a while, then I used a xilica xp3060, then the MINIDSP 88. On my new build I will be using a pair of MINIDSP 2x4s built into my 14 channel icepower amp.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
So no hiss problems?

I am not a fan of the Mini on highly sensative speakers. BUT I am looking at (budget friendly)options as I build my rig.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
The 2x4 is good, but I would not use the balanced version, as it is noisier than the unbalanced version.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The 2x4 is good, but I would not use the balanced version, as it is noisier than the unbalanced version.

Is that because of the higher voltage output? I'm debating which way to go for my subs, and I know there are pros and cons for each.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
Is that because of the higher voltage output? I'm debating which way to go for my subs, and I know there are pros and cons for each.

I don't know, but I do know I sold it because the hiss was horrible. With the 2x4 UNbalanced there was a little bit of hiss. I will let you know how the hiss is when we get the amp built. I am keeping my fingers crossed that i will have either zero hiss or very low. One thing for sure is the only noise in the room (other than sound from the speakers) will be the projector for the first time since i sold the stack of Yamaha P2500s amps (I really miss them).

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Was just looking at some Yamaha amps for the future. I am not sure they are silent though as these are the PX series or whatever they are called. The P2500 and others are known to be almost silent which would be a god thing for the future.

The Mini's have always been great for subs but not always for high sensativity speakers.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
My 4 channel Yamaha has fans constantly on. The p2500s, p7000s both had fans, but they never came on. You can't get any quieter than that. ;)

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
My 4 channel Yamaha has fans constantly on. The p2500s, p7000s both had fans, but they never came on. You can't get any quieter than that. ;)

Yessir! My 2500 is dead silent. Love it.
Speaker looks really cool Ron. It's gonna look cool when you back light the screen.

I think Owen mentioned some neoprene from eBay, which could work I think. I got some of this hydro turf for the swim deck of my boat.
HYDRO-TURF SHT40MD-GY Mat Sheet (Ride Mat Material) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GRFFPU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.xSTybJ3NB9G3

Maybe a sheet of rubber like a mud flap from a semi/straight truck would have less tendency to compress over time. Maybe it wouldn't matter?
Anyways, looking good.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
You don't need to hear it from me, but I just have to say, "Admirable work, Ron!" Love the shade of blue. Does it have a name?
It was a Benjamin Moore W627.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
I am currently waiting on the rear panel to be made for the new amp...should be ready in a couple of weeks for me to start assembling it. Once I get that done I can get the new speaker setup, and tuned.

Right now my HT is going through some changes as we will be putting the house up for sale soon. We will be buying or building a new home with a new home theater, and pond. The theater will be built, and may not be a room within a room, but the plan is to go a bit bigger on the room so I can I can possibly use my diy synergy horns for all channels including atmos. We will see how the sale goes on our current house as that will determine our budget for the new home. The only changes in equipment I currently forsee is a possible curved at screen, 4k projector, and more diy speakers. We currently have a Epson 3700 projector, and I plan on having that for at least a year or two before going 4k due to my need for high a lumen projector.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The theater will be built, and may not be a room within a room, but the plan is to go a bit bigger on the room so I can I can possibly use my diy synergy horns for all channels including atmos.
I have no response except "DO IT." :)

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
20170312_160053.jpg This is a pic of the 16 channel Elan gutted amp, with the Icepower amp modules, minidsp 2x4s, and power supply (for the minidsps). The amp modules, and minidsp will be mounted to individual aluminum brackets bent 90 degrees, and attached to the case through the vented bottom plate. I still need to drill the holes, and bend the brackets. The top of the amp will be a piece of 1/4" thick plexiglass. Hopefully this will be completed in the next month. Then I will start to tune the Synergy speakers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #856
I have started a new thread with our potential new home theater... I am currently dismantling the Negatron HT.

841 - 856 of 856 Posts