Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying the XPA -5 barely used from an individual, and looking at the specs it says S/[email protected] and at .1percent [email protected]/1meter. Isn't 97 kind of low on the noise floor? Would I have to turn down the gain on my sub to keep any hum from being introduced? And in doing so, not get the full wattage from my sub amp? I was told years ago when looking at specs on amps, to keep it to .01 percent which is not audible to the human ear. I would like someone to she'd some light on this matter, please.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi, The XPA5 is a great amp however I have a concern. The XPA5 is a multi channel amp designed for full range running 5 independent channels @ 200watts each. It is not designed to be bridged. 200watts is not really enough to power s sub correctly to begin with.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to use it(the emotiva) for my main channels. I was just talking about the sub being it is in the audio chain, looking at the noise floor.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ok, understood. Then the xpa 5 is a great choice. You have adjustments in the receiver for each output (the same as for the speaker levels) You should be just fine. It is much more dependent on the sensitivity of your speakers not the amp.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
It all depends on how much you want to spend.
For something that retails for $899 the Emotiva has good specs.
The Outlaw 5 channel amp has better specs, but it is about twice the price and it is still an inexpensive amplifier. After that the prices just keep climbing.
The spec on the XPA5 that makes me hesitate is the 34dB of gain, along with reports of hiss during quiet passages or between songs.
I have a mid range AVR rated at about 100 watts / ch, and there is no hiss unless the volume control is turned almost all the way up with no source input. Even listening at very loud volume there is no hiss between songs or if there is silence in a movie.
If an external amp was added (power output doubled) I would be completely dissatisfied if there was audible hiss at my current listening levels.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is because of the .1 percent total harmonic distortion . Like I was told In car audio, if you have .01 percent or lower you don't have any hiss in silent parts with the volume turned up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an XPA-5 installed in my system and it is very, very quit, I don't think you have anything to worry about

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
That is because of the .1 percent total harmonic distortion . Like I was told In car audio, if you have .01 percent or lower you don't have any hiss in silent parts with the volume turned up.
Hiss and distortion are not synonymous with each other.
It is highly unlikely that you could distinguish the sound between two amplifiers with .01% distortion and .1% distortion.
Don't get me wrong, I would want the .01%, but in the real world the speakers will be a much bigger contributor to distortion compared to the amplifier by orders of magnitude.
Hiss is caused when the noise floor is amplified to an audible level.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I am looking at buying the XPA -5 barely used from an individual, and looking at the specs it says S/[email protected] and at .1percent [email protected]/1meter. Isn't 97 kind of low on the noise floor? Would I have to turn down the gain on my sub to keep any hum from being introduced? And in doing so, not get the full wattage from my sub amp? I was told years ago when looking at specs on amps, to keep it to .01 percent which is not audible to the human ear. I would like someone to she'd some light on this matter, please.
Hello,
The THD is still quite low, but Emotiva's employ a higher amount of gain than most other amplifiers. This is a design choice made so that they are compatible with the highest number of AV Receivers. Many AVR's have a less than stellar Preamp Stage that can in some instances not have enough voltage to get the full output from an amplifier. My Aragon 8008bb truly suffered during the 5 years I owned Onkyo's continuously whereas purchasing a Denon AVR-4520CI a few months ago made a huge difference.

This is an extreme example as the 8008bb retailed for $2800 and very few would be pairing it with an AVR and it was honestly more aimed at the 2 Channel market.
Best,
Jack

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Jungle Jack makes a very good point about the gain being a design choice and he gave a very legitimate reason for that decision.
In the home theater arena there's not anything that competes with Emotiva amps because they cost so much less than anything else that has comparable output power.
To stay in the same price range you have to look at pro gear which has its own issues in the consumer HT market.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think it should also be pointed out that the hiss only matters when you are not playing music, and you are a foot away from the speaker. High sensitivity speakers can make the same amp have a hiss that didn't on low sensitivity speakers. I have a very nice amp that makes a small hiss when nothing is playing and I put my ear close to the speaker. Fortunately for me, I like to listen to music at normal volumes, and at normal volumes the only hiss that you will hear is completely in your head. I think you will be happy with any emotiva amp.

·
Registered
922 Posts
i have an xpa-3 and i am very happy with it. yes you can spend more... for .01% but is it worth double the money.... unless you just have the money... they you should look at some bryston amps ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool! Now I don't have to just hope everything works out right. I appreciate you all telling me about your experience with your own amps. Thursday I head home from work and I will be taking a little buying trip and pick this baby up. Thanks again guys!!!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Cool! Now I don't have to just hope everything works out right. I appreciate you all telling me about your experience with your own amps. Thursday I head home from work and I will be taking a little buying trip and pick this baby up. Thanks again guys!!!
Congrats. Adding an Emotiva really makes a strong initial impression owing to the gain structure. It really should embolden you front stage.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
High sensitivity speakers can make the same amp have a hiss that didn't on low sensitivity speakers.
I am using an XPA-5 to power my Klipschorns, which are about as high sensitivity speaker as is on the market. The Emotiva does produce a slight hiss that would be inaudible on less sensitive speakers. That is certainly due to the higher gain. I drive it with my Denon AVR-A100 (Anniversary edition of the 4311).

And, of course, I did not need that much power, but it was THERE:D Plus, the system now has incredible headroom.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My way of thinking is why make your gear stress and possibly damage something , Why not have plenary of power in reserve. So everything is nothing but quality and to have no fear of clipping your amps, over heating them and blowing speakers from distortion !

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I am using an XPA-5 to power my Klipschorns, which are about as high sensitivity speaker as is on the market. The Emotiva does produce a slight hiss that would be inaudible on less sensitive speakers. That is certainly due to the higher gain. I drive it with my Denon AVR-A100 (Anniversary edition of the 4311).

And, of course, I did not need that much power, but it was THERE:D Plus, the system now has incredible headroom.
Whoa. K-Horns and a 200 watt per channel amplifier. I can only imagine what the peak SPL's must be when/if set to Reference Level considering a clock radio can drive K-Horns.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Whoa. K-Horns and a 200 watt per channel amplifier. I can only imagine what the peak SPL's must be when/if set to Reference Level considering a clock radio can drive K-Horns.
Actually, two XPA-5's and an Emo UPA-1 mono amp driving 4 K'horns, a Belle center, 6 Heresy IIIs, four Hsu ULS-15s and an old Velodyne FSR-18 in 11.2 in a 12x20x8 room. Headroom? Yeaahhhh:D Crazy, obsessed? Yep, that too:D.

Crazy thing is that we average about a watt per channel when wife is in the HT for nightly TV...:coocoo:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts