Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been over a year and I still have not decided on a new amp (or a new monitor for that matter), may be a matter of analysis paralysis :coocoo:.

Anyway, other than the obvious power difference and analog VU vs. LED's, what is the big difference? Price is the same,..... I have seen several recommendations that basically state XPA for home theater and RPA for music. Not really much of an explanation as to why.

Anyone care to elaborate on the differences?

Speakers that would be driven;
RBH Sound 1266-SE, 4 ohm and sensitivity 88dB (2.83V @ 1 Meter).

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am seeing any glaring differences myself. I am not sure why either would be used in an HT unless it is sharing duties as a two channel system.

The extra power is almost free right now with the sale going on.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wondering if there are subtle differences that make the RPA a better amp? If not, why market it as a "reference" amp and then turn around a sell basically the same amp that has more power for the same price? I'm assuming there are some higher quality components inside the RPA.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,...I was just referred to this post.

XPA-2 is a class A/B amp
RPA-2 is a class H amp

XPA-2 provides 250 w and appears to be more efficient
RPA-2 provides 200 w

XPA-2 Considered better for HT
RPA-2 Considered better for music

XPA-2 Triple Darlington with ON semiconductor output stages
RPA-2 Dual mono-block design

XPA-2 LED VU meters
RPA-2 Analog VU meters

·
Banned
601 Posts
Well,...I was just referred to this post.

XPA-2 is a class A/B amp
RPA-2 is a class H amp

XPA-2 provides 250 w and appears to be more efficient
RPA-2 provides 200 w

XPA-2 Considered better for HT
RPA-2 Considered better for music

XPA-2 Triple Darlington with ON semiconductor output stages
RPA-2 Dual mono-block design

XPA-2 LED VU meters
RPA-2 Analog VU meters
HI Mark,

Are you still considering buying or selling? :rolleyesno:
Do you have a more detailed idea of what you're interested in? :dunno:
I think I can help you if
given a little more details.

Bob

p.s. great picture! :devil:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Mark... I bet if you did A/B testing on those two amps, you would be hard pressed to tell any difference. I suspect both will be excellent.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Bob, considering buying an RPA-2, my Denon does OK with my hungry speakers but every time I have listened to them with a decent separate amp they sound better. Bass is more controlled and the highs are,.... airier? :scratchhead:

Sonnie,... I agree, I don't think I'd hear a difference either. Just curious if one is assembled with better components than the other?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would think the XPA-2 is the more robust amp as evidenced by its doubling of wattage at 4 Ohms as opposed to 8 Ohms.

As far as Emotiva in general, I liked the RSP-1 and RPA-1 combo I heard.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Hey Bob, considering buying an RPA-2, my Denon does OK with my hungry speakers but every time I have listened to them with a decent separate amp they sound better. Bass is more controlled and the highs are,.... airier? :scratchhead:

Sonnie,... I agree, I don't think I'd hear a difference either. Just curious if one is assembled with better components than the other?
Mark, I feel very good that we are on the right track here about what could be
"the beginning of a beautiful friendship", quote from the film Casablanca.:joke:
You seem to be a mature person, with some reasonable degee of intelligence.:innocent:
So, let's not foul ourselves and get to the point! :neener:

You should have mentioned the Denon you are using.
I totally agree with you about your speakers, the RBH 1266-se are power hungry.
Very nice speakers, by the way. :T

Have you consider the Yamaha RX-Z7? You can find a great review at Audioholics. :T

As for the choice of Emotiva amps, I really do believe that you can distinguish
between the different models and their well described architecture. Nice of you
to give the reference link. These Emotiva amps are beautiful & powerful.
They will compliment your Denon (which model is it again?) with aplomb. :T

You take great care of yourself my friend. :

Bob

·
Banned
601 Posts
I would think the XPA-2 is the more robust amp as evidenced by its doubling of wattage at 4 Ohms as opposed to 8 Ohms.

As far as Emotiva in general, I liked the RSP-1 and RPA-1 combo I heard.
HI Jack,

I woud think so too.
I live in Canada, I'd love being able to afford these georgous amps at the fabulous prices
that the Americans are generously presented with.
I never had the pleasure to hear any of them, only read the many praises about them.

Take care Jack

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah,... well,... I have a Denon 3805 that I am currently using to power the 1266-SE's.

I dunno that another receiver will be much of an upgrade considering the cost. So to answer your question, no, I have not been considering other receivers :dontknow: Instead I have been looking at amps like Emotiva, Acurus, ATI, Outlaw, ADCOM, Sherbourn, Sherwood and others.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yeah... no doubt your money will be better spent on a out board amp, considering your speakers. IMO the Z7 would be a waste of good money.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Others to consider are the Anthem MCA 20, Vincent SP-331, Wyred 4 Sound ST-500, and Rotel RB-1080.

I'd also consider used from AudiogoN/VideogoN.

Adcom GFA-5500
Adcom GFA-5800
Adcom GFA-555 II
Adcom GFA-585

Bel Canto S300

Belles 400

B&K Reference 200.2

Bryston 4B-NRB

Classe CA-200

Rotel RB-1080

Sunfire 300

Sunfire Symphonic Reference

Yamaha M85

·
Banned
601 Posts
Ah,... well,... I have a Denon 3805 that I am currently using to power the 1266-SE's.

I dunno that another receiver will be much of an upgrade considering the cost. So to answer your question, no, I have not been considering other receivers :dontknow: Instead I have been looking at amps like Emotiva, Acurus, ATI, Outlaw, ADCOM, Sherbourn, Sherwood and others.
I also have the 3805.

But seriously Mark, what about the new codecs, like Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio?
You do have the Samsung 5000 or 2500 for blu-ray player, do you?, with 7.1 analog multichannel
outputs.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Yeah... no doubt your money will be better spent on a out board amp, considering your speakers. IMO the Z7 would be a waste of good money.
For not wasting good money, you'll be wasting your chance for a good receiver!

But I do agree with you; these Emotiva amps are hard to resist, for the quality & for the $ value.

Hey Sonnie, what Mark is doing concerning the new Audio codecs? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right now, and for the immediate future I have no need of the new surround formats. No Blu-ray, nothing with HDMI,....so,....

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm,... well, so much for that. Apparently 2 months after it's introduction the RPA-2 has been discontinued :unbelievable:

It would seem some of the unique parts and pieces of this amp are getting hard to come by and Emotiva's inability to obtain enough parts for another production run has pretty well forced then to design a replacement amp.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Hi Mark,

You are right, Emotiva will release a new Pre/Processor, and I did not know about the
XPA-2 replacement. I didn't know of any parts hard to get for the XPA-2, I thought
that it was an excellent amp without any problems. This is the first time that I am
hearing that, from you. Kind of surprising!
Anyway, take care & keep an eye on Emotiva newest releases. They still cannot be
beat for the Value.

_______ Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts