1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated: 12-13-10

PRODUCT PAGE SPECS:
Link

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 105dB (A-Weighted)
Frequency Response: 5Hz - 48kHz
THD+N: 0.001%
Ground Floor Noise Level: < 15uV
Nominal Output Voltage: 1V RMS
Peak Output Voltage: > 12VRMS (balanced)
Sample Rate: All standard resolutions are supported up to 192kHz
Bit Depth: Standard bit depths up to 24Bit are supported at clock frequencies up to 192kHz
Inputs: 2 Optical TOSLINK, 2 COAX Digital, 1 AES/EBU, 1 USB
Outputs: 2 RCA (Unbalanced), 2 XLR (Balanced)
Internal Volume Control: Digitally controlled in increments of 0.5db
Remote Control: Milled Aluminum Full Function Remote Control
I/V conversion: Burr Brown OPA-2134
D/A conversion: high performance, multibit Sigma-Delta Burr Brown AD1955
Data Directed Scrambling with high jitter immunity, and an 8x Oversampling Digital Filter
Fully Discrete Differential Reference™ Output Stage with fully independent balanced and unbalanced drive stages

------------------------------------

Latest pics and specs on XDA-1
6-10-10 update (Emotiva VIP Lounge): Link

"Some quick specs for you all.

Frequency response: 5-50Khz
S/N: in excess of 110db
THD+N: 0.02%
Ground floor noise: 10uV
Output voltage: 1V nominal, 12V peak"

"We hope to have them in your hands in about 45 days."

Q (TonyMc): "So would putting the XDA-1 between transport and USP-1 negate the sonic improvements of the XDA-1?"
A (Lonnie): "It won't negate the improved sound, but as good as the line stage is in the USP, the XDA by itself is way better."

--------------------------
*UPDATE*
5-18-10
New pic available (see below).
New specs coming in days

----------------------------------------------------------------
4/2/10 Post - LINK -
"They announced in today's webcast

http://emotiva.com/webcast040210/webcast.shtm

(section 2 of the webcast)
that the new physical design on the DAC means it won't be released for another 90 days or so.
So at this point, the DAC should be available sometime this July."[/B][/COLOR]

Emotiva XDA-1 digital-analog converter (DAC)
Cost: $299.00

Specifications:
(pending)
From Emonatics - http://emonatics.com/XDA-1.shtml
(unconfirmed)...
Inputs (both)
1) AES/EBU
2) Coax Digital
2) Optical Digital
1) USB (Should be PC & Mac Compatible)
I spoke to Lonnie about this when I was at Emofest. Lonnie sent me to Eric in engineering. Eric told me the USB only supported max. 16/48.
I just got off the phone from speaking with Eric about the XDA-1's USB ports. There has been confusion as to just what the specs for the USB is really capable of handling. Well, now we have the official confirmation from Eric that the XDA-1 DOES handle 24 bit/192 KHz via its USB inputs. Of course it also handles 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/96, etc, etc. It will output whatever you send it without down converting the signal.
Outputs
1) L/R Unbalanced RCAs
1) L/R Balanced XLRs (all outputs are hgh voltage)

Triggers (automatic on/off for amplifiers and XDA-1 itself)
1) 12v output trigger
1) 12v input trigger

Analog Devices AD1955 DAC, with 384k oversampling, and 1V rms (7V peak for extended dynamics), 24-bit, 192 kHz Sample Rate PCM Audio Data, 120 dB SNR/DNR (not muted) at 48KHz Sample Rate (A-Weighted Stereo), -110 dB THD+N (0.0003162%)
Burr Brown buffers coming out of the DAC
6 fully discrete output stages
Selectable inputs
Segmented power supply

XDA-1 Manual

Features:
- headphone jack
- volume control: digital & global (for all inputs)
--- therefore, turn volume to MAX for use with pre-amp ????
Post at Emotiva Forum (srb):
As has been previously mentioned (and both verified by Emotiva and Analog Devices), the on-chip volume control implementation is an analog resistor ladder, albeit digitally controlled, and doesn't use up bits to attenuate.
12-5-10 robdog post
(bold added)
I called Emotiva on Friday and asked Vincent that same question.
He said that I should run the XDA at full volume, leaving it at 80, and use the USP-1 to make volume adjustments while listening.
When I mentioned the high gain on the USP-1 he said that the XDA could be set lower if needed, as it was a "lossless" volume control and would not cause any loss of resolution, detail, etc.
So, I have been using the XDA set at about 60 - 70 and I use the USP-1 for volume adjustment.
I do occasionally grab the XDA remote for fine volume adjusments when needed - since one push of the button on the USP-1 remote turns it up or down so much.
Seems to be working well for me that way.
Anyway, based on my conversation with Vincent, I would suggest starting at 80 on the XDA-1 and working down until you find a setting that works best with the USP-1.
- 6 discrete output stages
- selectable inputs
- segmented power supply

Other info:
- 1 RU high
- old name was XDC-1
- Lonnie (@ Emotiva forum):
"Even though the ERC and XDA share the same DAC, the reason the XDA sounds so much better is because of the discrete output stage.
In the ERC the design is a straight forward single dif, going to a single stage VAS and output stage.
The XDA on the other hand uses a Dual dif input stage with crosslinked current sources, Darlington VAS stage and Darlington output stages, so the speed and current it can deliver is like night and day different from the ERC.
So as good as the ERC sounded (and to be honest I thought it was amazing), the XDA is in a league all its own."

Future:
- "At this time I am just working on this one. The baby version is down the road. "

Links
Emonatics link
XDA-1 bypass mode??? (Emotiva thread by Kiwi) Link - http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=preamps&thread=11034&page=1

--[ORIGINAL POST]--
FYI...
Emotiva XDA-1 DAC update from Admin at Emotiva forum:

Link

---------------------
Actual pics, specs and pricing coming very soon. just waiting on the cosmetic prototype to arrive.
I have an engineering mule, but it is far from pretty. So if all goes well, maybe in another week I can have them for you.

BTW, I don't know if I actually posted what it really looks like or not so here it is.

---------------------
Specs are pending but previous comments...

- estimated cost - $300
- 1 RU high
- old name was XDC-1

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been watching the thread over there for a while and am looking forward to hearing how well it performs. I've just always used my receiver for DAC but am interested in a standalone DAC. I wonder what I've been missing

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been watching the thread over there for a while and am looking forward to hearing how well it performs. I've just always used my receiver for DAC but am interested in a standalone DAC. I wonder what I've been missing
I am no DAC expert, but I think the answer is "it depends".
The HRT MS DAC I added to my laptop made a difference.
I think the major variables are how good your source(s) are, the current DAC, and the rest of your audio chain and speakers.

Full specs & product sound like they should be available soon.

Mike

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XDA-1 DAC update - close but delayed

From Lonnie (admin) at Emotiva forum today:
Link

"Well I have been a little remiss about getting you up to speed on the XDA and I am sorry.

We got in the final cosmetic sample and have been testing and listening to it extensively. First off let me say that the sound quality is unlike anything else we have done before. It is really something special. The discrete output stages in the XDA are in a league of their own. The discrete output stage we did for the ERC and USP as good as they are can’t hang with this thing. The depth and detail in the music is so deep and accurate it is difficult to describe, so I have no doubt you will love it once we release it.

Now the bad news. We placed the XDA on top of the ERC (we were using it for a transport) and while we were listening to it, we just couldn’t get past the fact that the cosmetics didn’t match and it just didn’t look right. So we have redesigned the front panel to give it a more family look. Unfortunately this will delay the release a little longer, but all the electronics are solid and fully check out. So hopefully this won’t delay things too much longer because I know many of you have been waiting for a while.

I am sorry about the delay but we want you to enjoy the whole experience of the unit and have it match up with all the other gear, so hang in there it is coming."

Mike

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other info:
- headphone jack
- volume control: digital & global (for all inputs)
--- therefore, turn volume to MAX for use with pre-amp

Future:
- "At this time I am just working on this one. The baby version is down the road. "

Mike

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally think the new design is much better than the previous ones. It's great to have an update on them!
Yeah, it looks cool.
Good to have another DAC option (although there are a lot) at a low price point.

Now just need some product, reviews, posts...

Mike

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on Emotiva DAC pricing...$299

Update on Emotiva DAC pricing...

Link
"As it is right now, we are looking to release it at 299.00"

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are some truly nice offerings around $500, this is an interesting pricepoint...

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HRT Music Streamer II's New 24/96 Hi Res asynchronous USB DAC's

Off topic (of Emotiva at least)...

HRT Music Streamer II's New 24/96 Hi Res asynchronous USB DAC's

Link

Specifications: Music Streamer II
Electrical: Full Scale output 2.25 volts RMS
Frequency Response (20 Hz / 20 kHz) 0 dB / -.5 dB
Noise Floor (DC to 30 kHz) 26 uV RMS
S/N Ratio (DC to 30 kHz) 98 dB
THD+N (1 kHz FS) 0.010%
USB to Audio output isolation > 20M Ohm
Interface Data Rate: up to 96 kS/s
Bit Depth: up to 24 bit
Transfer Protocol: asynchronous
USB type 1.1 or Above
Power Requirements (USB buss) 200 mA
Dimensions (L x W x H) 4.1" x 2.1" x 1.2"
Price $149.95

New for 2010!! Improved version of the original HRT Music Streamer II, now featuring full 24/96 Hi-Res capability and asynchronous data transfer protocol. Fully compatible with USB 1.1 and above for full bandwidth performance! The Music Streamer II+ is a high performance music interface that allows a computer and a home entertainment system to become perfect partners. With its unique topology, the Music Streamer provides a completely isolated path between the computer and audio system. No more audio contamination by the computer; your music will always sound its best. There are no external power supplies to worry about because the Music Streamer derives its power from the USB buss while completely regenerating power for all its internal circuitry using a sophisticated set of proprietary circuits.

Operation is simple: just plug the Music Streamer into any USB port on your computer and the Music Streamer will install itself and be ready for use in a matter of moments. Connect the other end of the Music Streamer into any analog input and you are ready to stream high quality computer based music. Minimum System requirements Windows XP service Pack 3, MAC OsX 10.3 or newer. Not all MAC Mini's have enough output voltage to power the Streamer in some cases you'll need a powered USB Hub.

The Music Streamer provides full support for applications such as iTunes™, Windows Media Player™ Rhapsody, Napster or anything else! Direct to your home entertainment system, with a level of quality never before possible. You can also use the Music Streamer to listen to internet radio or other music subscription services such as Rhapsody™ or Napster™ in high quality through your Home Entertainment System, Television or Stereo system. High Resolution Technologies Music Streamer, the product for tomorrow, is available today.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updates - DAC info / delay until July 2010?

DAC updates...

4/2/10 Post - LINK -
"They announced in today's webcast

http://emotiva.com/webcast040210/webcast.shtm

(section 2 of the webcast)
that the new physical design on the DAC means it won't be released for another 90 days or so.
So at this point, the DAC should be available sometime this July."

- Lonnie (@ Emotiva forum - 4/3/10) - LINK -
"Even though the ERC and XDA share the same DAC, the reason the XDA sounds so much better is because of the discrete output stage.
In the ERC the design is a straight forward single dif, going to a single stage VAS and output stage.
The XDA on the other hand uses a Dual dif input stage with crosslinked current sources, Darlington VAS stage and Darlington output stages, so the speed and current it can deliver is like night and day different from the ERC.
So as good as the ERC sounded (and to be honest I thought it was amazing), the XDA is in a league all its own."

·
Registered
38 Posts
i will admit i am not up to speed on the DAC players
So what are the main things/specs/etc to look for
is it the greater the value of the specs the better or is it the lower the better. :crazy::crazy::crazy:
What are Quality components and which are the ones to steer clear of??
anyone care to educate??
:huge:

·
Registered
20 Posts
i will admit i am not up to speed on the DAC players
So what are the main things/specs/etc to look for
is it the greater the value of the specs the better or is it the lower the better. :crazy::crazy::crazy:
What are Quality components and which are the ones to steer clear of??
anyone care to educate??
:huge:
Me to, I'm not sure what an external DAC is for other than higher quality sound.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
XDA-1 DAC "final sample"

From Emotiva thread post:
Link

"From the podcast: "The final sample, with the revised cosmetics of the XDA, is shipping tonight. Yeah!"

Which I assume means it's shipping from China to Emotiva. So, it's getting closer, but not that close."

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DAC specs (from Emonatics - unconfirmed)

Specifications:
(pending)
From Emonatics - http://emonatics.com/XDA-1.shtml
(unconfirmed)...

Inputs (both)
1) AES/EBU
2) Coax Digital
2) Optical Digital
1) USB (Should be PC & Mac Compatible)

Outputs
1) L/R Unbalanced RCAs
1) L/R Balanced XLRs (all outputs are hgh voltage)

Triggers (automatic on/off for amplifiers and XDA-1 itself)
1) 12v output trigger
1) 12v input trigger

Analog Devices AD1955 DAC, with 384k oversampling, and 1V rms (7V peak for extended dynamics), 24-bit, 192 kHz Sample Rate PCM Audio Data, 120 dB SNR/DNR (not muted) at 48KHz Sample Rate (A-Weighted Stereo), -110 dB THD+N (0.0003162%)
Burr Brown buffers coming out of the DAC
6 fully discrete output stages
Selectable inputs
Segmented power supply

1 - 20 of 84 Posts