Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to listen to both of these amps? I have only
lived with the KAV 2250 for a short time. The Emotiva has good reviews and
I like the power. Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
personally I doupt that there is much audibly different between the two. Both are made by excellent manufacturers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Tony. Yes Krell is great but oh so pricey. The Emotiva has a great price point.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If your looking to buy one or the other the Emotiva is hard to beat.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I have not heard the Krell amps, but I own a pair of XPA-1's from Emotiva and I find it hard to believe it gets any better. They are pushing a pair of Martin Logan Prodigy's... one of the most difficult speakers there is to drive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not heard the Krell amps, but I own a pair of XPA-1's from Emotiva and I find it hard to believe it gets any better. They are pushing a pair of Martin Logan Prodigy's... one of the most difficult speakers there is to drive.
Sonnie,
I had the Krell KAV 2250 driving a pair of Martin Logan Aeon i for a year while and I loved it.. I since sold the Logans and the krell and had other speakers for a spell. I am now going back to ML and I wanted a powerful amp like the Krell. The Emotive XPA-1 looks good also.

I am getting a pair of ML Sources and hope to one day move up the line to the Spires, so I wanted an amp that was up to the task. The XPA-2 looks like great amp and at that price its hard to ignore.
Thanks for all the responses.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I haven't seen ML's as low as they are now in forever... remarkable deals on used models at Audiogon.

I don't think you will go wrong with Emotiva... they are a class act with a LOT of satisfied owners.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
As a fellow Martin Logan owner, along with Sonnie, I will echo his sentiments about Emotiva being a suitable amplifier for ML's. I would definitely recommend the XPA-1 or XPA-2 as these are both truly high current amplifiers.

I am quite fond of Krell, but was not a huge fan of the KAV Series in terms of value. Unlike the earlier KSA Series and the current FPB Series, the KAV Series are not Class A Amplifiers and did not share the same massively overbuilt build quality. The KAV Series, to me, were Krell's way of getting into the middle priced arena of Power Amplifiers and allowed them to be sold at places like the now defunct Tweeter/Sound Advice Stores. As opposed to super high end emporiums. Part of me felt that the KAV Series traded on Krell's reputation to sell amplifiers that, while much more reasonably priced, did not follow Krell's traditional values.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies guys! I just purchased an XPA-2, and My Logans are ordered can't wait!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Greg, which Martin Logans did you order? Also, congratulations on the XPA-2. I really think you are going to love it.
I see now you ordered Sources. Sorry I missed that.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
601 Posts
Wow! This is great news Greg. Congratulations! :T

* By the way Sonnie, Mark from Australia would like to get in touch with you, concerning your Onkyo TX-NR906 in combination with your Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The beast has arrived! This is one impressive looking and well built amp! Unfortunately my speakers are not here yet so I can't hear a thing!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Congratulations. Have you unboxed the beast? Hopefully, your Martin Logan's will be arriving soon.
The combination should really sound great and if you get upgradeitis, the Sources make for excellent Surround Speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks JJ. Yes I unpacked it and placed it in the rack. and you mean when I get upgradeitis :)
I hope to have Vantages or Spires depending on available $$ in about a year or so.
If I like this amp as much as I think I will, I will look to get my hands on a pair of XPA-1

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Greg, you are well on the path towards audio bliss. Though honestly, the XPA-2 is powerful enough to drive the Vantages or Spires. Not that extra power ever hurt anything.....
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
601 Posts
The beast has arrived! This is one impressive looking and well built amp! Unfortunately my speakers are not here yet so I can't hear a thing!
Lol, I guess not. No other set of speakers hiding somewhere in your home or garage? Just temporarily...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol, I guess not. No other set of speakers hiding somewhere in your home or garage? Just temporarily...
Actually I have a pair of these pro speakers my brother left at my house.
I am going to get the cables needed to hook them up from him today and fire it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 28 Posts