Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker first time poster. I recently aquired 2 CSS SD12 drivers that I would like to build an enclosure for. I'm not looking for max spl as much as capable of low freqeuencies. I would like to keep it around 8 cubic foot internal, ported for a 15 hz or lower tune. I have downloaded WinISD pro but am not comfortable enough with my skills with it to try and design a dual driver ported cabinet. I've searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for in a tried and true design. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I'll be using an external pro amp. I currently have a Behringer A500 that I will be using until I get a couple of other things upgraded. I'll most likely be purchasing the ED sub eq with HPF as well. I know I'll be needing the high pass filter in a ported design, I'm just not 100% sure yet what I'll be using. I plan to get a more powerful Behringer in the future to get the most I can out of the SD12's

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Then let's plan for the power in the future.

SPL would be 110 db at 15 hz, plus room gain. Cone excursion is reached with 1000 watts input power and a high pass filter at 14 hz. A 6 inch diameter port needs to be 37.75 inches long to tune the cabinet to 15 hz, add an inch to the length if going with a flared port. Port air speed is under 26 m/s at 14 hz.

Twin SD12 SPL.JPG
Twin SD12 Excursion.JPG
Twin SD12 Air Speed.JPG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can do that. I enjoy all the build threads so I might as well add to them. I've got them up and running in seperate enclosures that I already had. 1 sealed and 1 ported run in series with a jumper between the two. So far I'm really impressed with the SD12's but I know they can sound better. I picked them up on e-bay for $154 delivered for the pair. New and never used, couldn't pass them up for that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This project has been on hold for a while. We've been busy building our house. We are about to get the LR done and I'm about ready to get this project started. I plan to use a slot port 3 inches high. What would be the optimal width/length for the port for the 15 hz tune. Enclosure will be 8³ net with 3/4 MDF.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife has decided she would rather have two smaller enclosures versus one bigger one. I'm looking at building the cabinets 19.5 X 16 X 32 inches high. Shes OK with that (and so am I). This should net about 4 cubic feet. Slot port should be 18 inches wide. Unless I'm doing something wrong in WinIsd it appears the air speed is too high with a reasonable length port configuration. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The cabinet is built! Unfortunately the batteries were dead in my camera. I'll post some pictures of built cabinet and the finishing when I get to that.
I bought the SD12's used and they appear to be dual voice coil. I received no information when I bought them and they are no longer on the CSS web site as they have been discontinued. Does anyone know the impedance of the voice coils?
I can't wait to hear these. They are built like tanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the link.
I had a print of that but couldn't find what I needed.
Thanks for all the help Mike it is truly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The cabinet is built! Unfortunately the batteries were dead in my camera. I'll post some pictures of built cabinet and the finishing when I get to that.
I bought the SD12's used and they appear to be dual voice coil. I received no information when I bought them and they are no longer on the CSS web site as they have been discontinued. Does anyone know the impedance of the voice coils?
I can't wait to hear these. They are built like tanks.
Hi,

Not sure what you have but they were single 4 ohm voice coils.

Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts