Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an attempt to build my first SW my primary concern is enclosure size, therefore many of the designs I have seen will not work in my application.
I will start with room size and it is approximately 17x19x9 with a 7x10 opening along the 19' wall into a similar sized room. This is a family room and not a dedicated theater or listening room.
As the SW's will be replacing end tables they will be camouflaged as such and would like them to be a down firing box. If this is not feasible or fraught with too much grief a forward firing design "may" be acceptable. (subject to WAF.)
Size options are approximately 23"hx21"wx33"d, external dimensions, or 19"h allowing for 4" legs in a down firing application. Construction will be either, 3/4" MDF or 18mm baltic birch plywood and will be covered in raised panel aka rail and stile.
The attributes of the SW that I am looking for are:

1. accuracy
2. LFE
3. SPL
4. cost

The questions:
1. Is sealed the best at meeting my requirements? If not, why not?

2. In a sealed application whose/what driver is best?

3. Is a eu2500 enough?

I look forward to your responses.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
1. Is sealed the best at meeting my requirements? If not, why not?
Not in a room that size with the box size limitations that you have. A ported sub would have more LFE and SPL then a sealed sub. The down firing cabinet would have a net volume of 5.2 cu.ft in a ported configuration. A Shiva-X in that size cabinet tuned to 19 hz with two 4 inch ports 33 inches long would give you the most output for the money. If you want to go sealed, you can expect a lot less low end output.

Is a eu2500 enough?
If you mean the EP2500 from Behringer, then yes, for most applications. Note that depending on what sub you choose and what cabinet type, you may also need a High Pass Filter.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
A ported sub would have more LFE and SPL then a sealed sub. If you want to go sealed, you can expect a lot less low end output.

I'm going to humbly disagree slightly here Mike.:sweat: It depends on what kind of a budget Warrant has to work with. IMO...More money than space = sealed. More space than money= ported.

Limited money + limited space = < :hsd:

Warrant,

Do you have a budget that you had in mind for this project? Also it seems like you are looking at doing a pair of subwoofers?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I'm going to humbly disagree slightly here Mike.:sweat: It depends on what kind of a budget Warrant has to work with. IMO...More money than space = sealed. More space than money= ported.

Limited money + limited space = < :hsd:
And I have to agree with you. His #4 point was cost, I took that to mean "keep the price down", and, as you did, I should have asked what his budget was first. My bad. :whistling:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1k for a driver? I am willing to spend the required funds to meet my goals. The four points are in order of importance.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Right. Well in that case a pair of Maelstrom X 18's sealed, one driver for each box, would be a great plan. You could use one EP2500 for both, but you could also run one EP2500 on each driver or a single better amp like a QSC PL3602 if you wanted to get the most out of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a a side by side comparison of the amps anywhere? Does Kevin have a Cdn. address as well? Would slingshot to Victoria work to avoid exhorbitant brokerage fees?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Is there a a side by side comparison of the amps anywhere? Does Kevin have a Cdn. address as well? Would slingshot to Victoria work to avoid exhorbitant brokerage fees?
You didn't mention that you were Canadian!

A QSC PLX3602 is going to have significantly more power than an EP2500, but it's also twice as expensive. They probably don't sound significantly different at all used in their normal operating ranges. It would just provide extra headroom. I don't know if there is direct comparison, but many amplifiers have been power tested on the Prosoundweb and at other places. Google search FTW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts