Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here have experience with older model re xxx subwoofers for HT? I am new to home audio but fairly active in the car audio world. I plan to spend a lot of time on the enclosure and would like to research as much as possible for best results. I am also looking into PR's to save space. I'd want an enclosure geared towards movies but if it can play music too then that would be great.

So far I'm thinking somewhere between 12-15 cu after displacement with eight 10" passives. I considered going with larger diameter PR's but I think a bunch of 10's firing forward would look cool lol :)
I read some great reviews on the Dayton PR's and they are also very affordable. I am very new to home audio so any opinions or suggestions would be very appreciated. Link to Daytons and subwoofer parameters are posted below. Thank you!:)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-494

TS Parameters

2004 re xxx 18
Fs 29.0 Hz
Re 1.9 DVC
Qms 5.09
Qes 0.64
Qts 0.59
Sd cm2 1210
Vas 244.2
Xmax 32mm
BL 17.1
SPL 91.8
RMS 1600 W
Max 2500 W

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Unfortunately this won't work. It would take a very robust 10" PR to keep up with the XXX18 in 15 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz. The Dayton isn't one of them.

8 Dayton PR's would reach their excursion limits with 250 watts.

8 CSS 10" PR's would reach their excursion limits with 950 watts and they are $70 a piece.

You are better off to port this monster and give it the power it can handle which would be about 2000 watts.

Estimated SPL graph, all modeling in 15 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz with a hi-pass filter at 18 hz.

Purple - Dayton PR's.

Green - CSS PR's.

Orange - ported.

xxx18.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad I learned that PR's won't work now before building the enclosure. Thank you for taking the time to plot the diagram for me. I really appreciate it. If I was to aim for 15 cu after displacements, do you have a suggestion on the amount of port area that I should go with?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am a bit limited on time because I have a big exam to study for (NCLEX). I'm currently in the planning phase. Still have to find an hdmi reciever for polk rt 5000p (minus the rt3000p powered subs). And haven't decided on a PA amp for the D4 Re subwoofer. But I really enjoy building enclosures and am very eager to get started as soon as I can. Once I get to building, I'll make sure and do a build log and post a link here:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts