Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been lurking a bit here, so I figured I might as well go all in :D. Here are some pics of my HT setup with a equipment list and some pics:

Home Theater Equipment List:
  • TV: Panasonic 60" ST30 Plasma
  • Receiver/Pre-amp: Integra DTR 5.9
  • Amplifier: Carver AV-705x, Carver M1.0t
  • Fronts: Polk LSi 15's modded with a db840 sub
  • Center: Polk LSi C
  • Surrounds: Polk LSi F/X (wall mounted)
  • Misc Gear: Xbox 360, Samsung BP-1600 blu ray player, Uverse DVR, Pioneer laserdisc player
  • Equipment not pictured: Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64
Speaker Cables:

• Left, Right & Center: Kimber Kable 8VS internally bi-wired with bananas on both ends
  • Surround Left, Surround Right: Monoprice 14 gauge with Monster Quick Connect banana's on the amp end and quickflex connectors on the speaker end
Interconnects:

• Left & Right: 1.5m Kimber Kable Hero
  • Center: .5m Kimber Kable Hero
  • Surround Left, Surround Right: 1m Emotiva X series (soon to be replaced by .5m Kimber Kable Heros)
Long term upgrades left to do:

• Replace Monoprice HDMI cables with 3 1m Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables and 1 2m Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cable
  • Replace Samsung blu-ray player with Pioneer S790 player or Oppo 95/103
  • Replace Integra 5.9 with a Pioneer SC-67
  • Home Theater Setup Pictures

HT Cable Management pics (not accurate as to interconnects and speaker cables)

Here are a couple quick pics of the speaker cables I am running now, Kimber Kable 8VS internally bi-wired with banana’s on both ends.

Here are some more of my newly refurbished Carver M1.0t amp. Its 500+ wpc @ 4 ohm. It has had a IEC plug added, new binding posts, all caps and resistors replaced, and White LED’s to replace the stock Red ones.

Here are a couple video’s of it in action on my Polk LSi 15’s. It makes them hit HARD!!

2 Channel System Equipment List:

• USB DAC/Headphone amp/Pre-amp: Audio GD NFB-5
  • Amplifier: Fisher 460t tube amp with matched set of Soviet tubes
  • Speakers: Polk RTA 11TL's
  • Misc sources: Technics SL-B3 turntable, Denon 3910 universal player
Speaker Cables:
  • Monoprice 14 gauge wire with Nakamichi banana's on both ends
Long term upgrades left to do:
  • Purchase fully modded Carver C-1 pre-amp (new IEC, remote control, caps & resistors & LED)
  • 10 foot pair of Kimber Kable 4VS or 4TC with banana's on both ends
  • 2 sets of .5m Kimber Kable PBJ interconnects (for Denon 3910 and Audio GD DAC)
  • 1 set of 1m Kimber Kable PBJ interconnects (for Pre to amp connection)
  • 1 1m Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable
  • Better tubes/extra sets
2 Channel System Pics:

My setup right now is all digital. I am using XBMC as my Media Player to send out the FLAC files via ASIO to the Audio GD NFB-5 via USB. The Audio GD has a variable output that I am using to connect to the tube amp. The interconnects are Audioquest G-Snakes. Nothing special with the speaker wires, just Monoprice 14 gauge for right now.

Once I get the modified Carver C-1 I will be able to connect up all my other sources and have a system capable of playing every source out there (FLAC, DVD-A, SACD, LP's) minus cassette tapes and 8 Tracks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! It looks even better right now with the MIT's gone and the Kimbers being the right size.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It appears I need 5 posts to post images. This post should hopefully be number 5

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried to post again, looks like I need to wait an hour :hissyfit:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking forward to being able to see the pics - normally takes about an hour once you hit 5 posts...
LOL, looking forward to showing them off. Oh well, every forum has a learning curve.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
**Edit** Since it let me edit my original post, I just re-did the pics there..... so head to page 1 to see my setup :gulp:

Hope this works :D:T

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that is what I am talking about - nice setups mate! :T
Thanks, its been a labor of "love". Now I am glad down to the nitty gritty of cables for the most part I am prety happy.

Now just need to get On-Demand movies to start being as good of quality as blu-rays :T

So, does the dog follow the no whining rule when he/she is in the kennel? :bigsmile:
Yup, actually my dog loves to hang out in his kenel most of the evening anyway lol...

My wifes dog is a cuddle monster thanks to her so he wont go there unless he's been super bad.....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, its been a couple months since I popped in here, so I thought I would update my thread here with some new acqusitions to my 2 channel setup.

I turned 30 yesterday, so what do you do on your 30th birthday... You re-organize your setup for the last time.

This setup is the most compromised setup in regards to speaker cable runs so I will be making some of my own DIY cables using Audioquest FLX 14/4 wire paired down to 11 gauge for each binding post. Still unsure what IC's I will be going with, Douglas Connection or Kimber Kable PB&J's. Either way the longest IC run is actually from the Harman Kardon Citation 11 pre-amp to my Sunfire TGP-II and I will be going with Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's or the Audioquest Sidewinders on sale (14 footers).

Here is the gear actually connected:

Sources:
Denon 3910 via RCA
Computer via Meridian Explorer (3.5mm to dual RCA)
TT via Harman Kardon Citation 11
Pioneer LD-S1 LASERDISC PLAYER!! (in transit)

Pre-amp: Sunfire TGP-II

Amp: NAD 2600 (on loan from friend, leaving this weekend)
Fisher 460t tube amp (in need of repair) - for when I have time to "really" listen
Carver M1.0t (in need of repair and going in the main HT when working)
Parasound HCA-750a (incoming today) - my new daily driver

Speakers: Polk RTA 11TL's (stock) with Meniscus Audio spikes

Speaker Wires: Partially Oxidized Monoprice
Speaker IC's: Radio Shack till replaced

I will get better pics when I get some time, these were just shot quick so I couild get to bed..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks mighty sharp. Sounds like the perfect way to spend a birthday.
Time to pop back in again. I found a better way to spend a Friday night while my wife was out and about. I had just gotten in some cables from DouglasConnection to demo, specifically his 9 gauge cables and 2 sets of jumpers. I also have 2 sets of interconnects coming in from him so I can have a full setup of his cables. I will be reviewing these for him over the course of a couple weeks and putting them against my Kimber Kable Hero IC's and Kimber 8VS internally bi-wired speaker cables in my downstairs setup.

To start with though I decided this was the best time to just sit and really re-organize my setup in the office as I was using just cheap Monoprice speaker wire. I had a entertainment center with 2 shelves I wasnt really utilizing right and a equipment rack that I just couldnt seem to find a way to incorporate right with the rest of my gear. So I went to work and from the hours of 10:30 - 1 got everything moved around. I managed to bring all my gear out and have it in the room, even if its not plugged in.

I also managed to re-work things so that I can actually get a decent set of speaker cables in there and not need a 15 foot cable for one speaker and a 6 foot for another one. This means for this setup once Dougs cables move along to the next guy to demo I can hopefully re-use some of the Audioquest FLX 14/4 speaker wire I have already instead of the horrible Monoprice stuff I had been using.

So here is my setup now as it stands. I think this will be where I leave things for at least 6 months. Its the most optimized setup for me. All units are as close together as possible allowing for the shortest runs of IC's and SC's which means less cost and easier to keep cables run properly. I still want a powerconditioner like a Panamax unit to go underneath my Parasound, but for now everythings through a powerstrip. I also hope to upgrade all the powercables as well. I am looking at Cullen Cable, Douglas Connection, Audioquest or Kimber. I will wait till I get my conditioner though.

Here is the rig as it stands:

Daily Drivers:

Sources:
  • CD/SACD/DVD-A Player: Denon 3910
  • Laserdisc Player: Pioneer LD-S1
  • FLAC: Custom Computer
  • Turntable: Technics SL-B3
  • Phono-pre: Harman Kardon Citation Eleven
Pre-amp:
  • Sunfire TGA-II
Amp:
  • Parasound HCA-700ii
Cables:

• Denon 3910: 1m Audioquest G-Snakes
  • Laserdisc: Rat Shack - (looking to upgrade)
  • Computer: Black Cat Digital Cable
  • Turntable: stock
  • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven: 4m Audioquest Sidewinder

Now you may ask.... what happened to that pretty equipment rack you had Dan..... Well here is your answer, it became my SHOW PIECE/VINTAGE GEAR RACK!!!. This is where I keep my vintage looking pieces, both in use (Turntable, HK) and those units not in rotation right now for whatever reason. It lets me keep them out to show off even when not in use. It needs some more gear in it though, hopefully a nice Marantz integrated, and some good Kenwood and Onkyo pieces too....

Here is what is currently in each shelf from Top to Bottom:

Units
  • Technics SL-B3
  • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven Pre-amp - this unit is actually being utilized for my turntable above it. I can use the EQ switches on the face of the unit (which I like) and its pre-outs to go to the Sunfire
  • Fisher 460t tube amp - needs to be looked at, once fully functional it will sit on top my Parasound to switch between the two for those long demo days
  • Carver M1.0t
  • Yamaha R-300 - my dads original unit that I hope to get refurbed and working to give back to him as a gift. I also hope to replace the cheap case (vinly on pressboard) with a nice custom wood made case
  • Pioneer Laserdisc CLD-D504

1 - 20 of 21 Posts