Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests I am looking for a 5.1 Surround Sound setup, due to my media collection growing and a need for the sound to better match my viewing experience. Though I do not have a particular budget in mind, I am not looking for audiophile quality speakers just something to improve on TV speakers giving more range & depth of sound.

This will be for a average sized living room, connected primarily to my HDTV and PS3. I have no particular need for many devices to be connected simultaneously, as it will only be used for watching and playing on the PS3. Ideally the Left/Right Front & Back speakers would be floor standing, or at least on stands rather than fixing them to walls. I do not mind wires as I find too many wireless devices and electronic equipment can interfere with each other.

Any suggestions would be welcome, possibly a few examples at increasing budgets.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

"Audiophile quality" is a very loaded statement :laugh:

Have you been following ALMfamily's thread? He's looking at some very high-end stuff (and some more modest stuff) and sounds like the perfect starting point for your research.

Heres a list of his auditions.

Link to his thread, page 17 things really start to get interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
First off, welcome aboard.

For a nice system to "improve on TV speakers", and an entry level system, I'd suggest a 2.1 system rather than 5.1

I know you did not give a budget but I'd much rather listen to a couple of nice floor standers complimented by a sub rather and a decent 5.1 system. Of course 5.1 is great too.

Really need a general budget to give you specific suggestions as one persons entry level may be $8000.00 and someone else may only wish to spend $800.00.

·
Registered
47 Posts
... Though I do not have a particular budget in mind, I am not looking for audiophile quality speakers just something to improve on TV speakers giving more range & depth of sound...
Infinity Primus supplies a lot of high fidelity bang-for-the buck at any budget. A pair of 363 for $660 for fronts, a pair of 253 for $440 for rears (or get a second pair to use as fronts as well and save $220), Primus 2-way center channel for $140. Mix and match your choice of receiver and sub(s).

·
Registered
156 Posts
gdstupak said:
I second this recommendation. I have the pioneer 5.0 and it sounds amazing. You can get the speakers for ridiculous prices on newegg.com during sales. Put the money you save buying these toward a great sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts