Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please list entry level receivers meeting the following criteria:

7.1 Dolby Digital TrueHD and/or DTS MasterHD
Minimum of two HDMI inputs
No other features needed or wanted
Leaning toward Onkyo, consider Yamaha, Denon

Amplifier power is irrelevant, I will not employ the power amp stage. If it lacks "preamp level" outputs (almost positively the case considering cost criteria), I will employ a simple resistor pad on the speaker level outputs to bring the speaker levels down to "preamp line level."

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I cant think of a receiver that does not offer these basic functions, Almost all receivers now come with at least 3 HDMI inputs and an adjustable crossover setting. Onkyo right down to there lowest 414 model has these as normal options.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Please list entry level receivers meeting the following criteria:

7.1 Dolby Digital TrueHD and/or DTS MasterHD
Minimum of two HDMI inputs
80 Hz crossover both-low pass and high-pass, prefer 4th order, please state slope (I have no idea whether or not there is an industry standard slope)
No other features needed or wanted
Leaning toward Onkyo, consider Yamaha, Denon

Amplifier power is irrelevant, I will not employ the power amp stage. If it lacks "preamp level" outputs (almost positively the case considering cost criteria), I will employ a simple resistor pad on the speaker level outputs to bring the speaker levels down to "preamp line level."

Thanks!
Hello,
Not many AVR's that I know of offer a 24/Octave or 4th order crossover slope. If wanting such a steep crossover, you really might want to consider an Active Crossover as opposed to a Passive Crossover.

That being said, THX Certified AVR's do offer a Linkwitz/Riley Crossover which I believe is only offered at 80hz. This is done to ensure there is no phase shift and to ensure the subwoofer remains omnidirectional.
This is accomplished by a combination of the THX Certified Satellite Speaker employing a 2nd Order roll off at 80hz and the THX Certified AVR/SSP also employing a 2nd Order 80hz roll off which in turn makes it a 4th Order Crossover

The problem is when not using THX Certified Speakers you are not getting the first half. That is most other speaker designs strive to go as low as possible and do not employ a 2nd Order Roll Off and few AVR's offer the kind of flexibility you are looking for.

Thiel's Smart Sub Integrator will provide what you are looking for I think. As would a Lexicon SSP and I would guess their AVR, Theta also offers this level of flexibility, and the cheapest route I would guess would be finding a used B&K AVR or SSP as they do offer a variety of Crossover Slopes.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Several bads, all my fault, sorry.

I see there may be a better section for this question, mod is welcome to move it.

Also, big thanks to JJ for reminding me slopes are cumulative, active + passive = acoustic. Am I correct that new entry level AVR have fixed 2nd order active crossover slopes (both high pass and low pass)?

I feared new entry level AVR might not offer 80 Hz pole because my 2004 Pioneer 6.1 AVR allows only 100, 150 and 200 Hz poles.

Thanks all!

Jimbo

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Anything with THX will offer the 80Hz (or it will be the only choice). Every Onkyo and Marantz I've seen in the past few years had several crossover options that went to 80Hz (or lower). Sadly I don't remember all the model numbers, but most were above entry to mid level offerings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts