Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a used turntable in the near future and my receiver lacks a phono stage. Could someone recommend a decent entry level MM phono stage? I'll be getting a Grado Sonata cart which puts out close to 5 mv. My max budget would be $500 but I'd prefer something cheaper.

I've heard some good things about the Rega Fono which goes for about $350. I'm also tempted to try the Parasound Zphono for $150. Any recommendations?

Jim

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Rega Phono Mini for $145, the Cambridge Audio 640P for $170, NAD PP-2 or PP-3 for $130 and $180, respectively, and the ProJect Phono Box II for $160.

A real sleeper is the Bellari VP129 tube phono stage for $250. It is a great sounding unit that you cannot touch the sound of for probably twice the price.

http://www.lpgear.com/Bellari_VP129.pdf

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I ended up ordering the Cambridge Audio 640P. That should at least get me started.

Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, I really like the Cambridge. It's dead silent and my records sound really good. Since I've never owned another phone stage, I can't compare it to anything. All I can say is it doesn't add any noise and sounds like it has a reasonably accurate RIAA curve. The spec is +/- 0.3 dB and I'd have to guess that that's true.

Jim

·
Registered
301 Posts
Check out the Musical Surroundings Phonomena used for a great budget option, it will load any MM or MC you may ever want to try and performs great, I have 2 with one in storage, if you care for any info or further inpressions PM me, these can be had for as little as $250 and offer far more options than many starter units.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I wondered about the Phonemena. So far, I'm happy with the Cambridge. It's dead silent and seems to be reasonably accurate with the RIAA curve. I've found one instance where I prefer the vinyl version of an album to the CD. I think that speaks well for my vinyl setup.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts