Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got dual RL-p15 LLT sonotubes, ~14Hz tune. They are the D2, serial coils, so dual 4Ohm load.

I use them as LFE and >40Hz for the satelites.

Now, being LLT they are a little lacking up towards the midbass area, and I would like to augment them a little up there. I have three Eminence 3015LF that I have used for LCR midbass units before I built my current (large) mains and center.

I'm considering building a pair of ported boxes, tuned to 40Hz for the eminences. They will have ~9dB higher sensitivity than the sonotubes and impedance should dip to almost 6Ohm per cabinet.

So, how to make all this work together? I can add another DCX2496 to handle EQ and crossovers for the subs if needed.

But still unsure how to hook this up to the EP2500. I could connect the LLTs in series on a single channel for an 8Ohm load and the Emmies in parallell for a 3Ohm load. The Emmies will tax the amp alot less due to the higher sensitivity.

I use the Onkyo PR-SC5508 that has dual sub output and Audyssey correction (I will continue to use Audyssey, as it sounds alot better than i can do with manual EQ).

LLTs are placed symmetrical now, and that position is by far the best for the low stuff in my room. The Emmies will probably be up front with the mains, as the 40 and up is better there. Delays and trim should be handled by Audyssey with little issue.

Any tips and pitfalls with this setup?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Not sure on the capabilities of those drivers, but in your position, and with only a 40hz target, I would go sealed. You would get more control over how much more punch you want by tuning the cab to suit your tastes. I would then run an LPF on the LLTs to cross them over with the sealed subs. I would also try place those new subs with your current LLTs. If your only looking for 40hz to 120 hz max, then I cant really see the argument for porting unless your drivers will specifically require it. It will increase cabinet size and give you less tuning control over what your trying to achieve. A LPF may not be need for the LLTs, but I would certain ensure your new subs get HPF's at around the 40hz mark. If you did go sealed, and run the LLT's full range, that would change the specific design requirement of the sealed subs to get a resulting sound, making the ability to tune and tweak more important IMO.

To hook the whole thing up, I would get another EP amp so you have one for each pair of subs, run the LLTs from one sub output of the pre/pro and the new pair from the second output of the processor. You would then just need to use an spl to balance the output of all the subs before running Audyssey, this would ensure you get the best results form it.

Thats what I would do, but not knowing enough about how the eminences perform and model might be a problem as far as my advice is concerned. They simply may not suit a sealed application.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do not work well in a sealed cabinet, hence the ported option.

The emmies are currently just collection dust, and I thought I'd put them to use with my current electronics. That's why I was planning to put them on separate channels on the EP2500. I could get another EP4000, but then I could not afford another DCX2496 that is needed for the crossover, so I'd be forced to run both pairs without crossovers.

But, having said all that, I just received an offer on the eminences, so I might sell them and not bother about this anyway! :mgreen:

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I personally would probably consider selling them on rather than trying to shoe horn them in. A couple proper sub drivers would likely work better anyway, and in small cabs. Like I say, sealing the additions would make much more sense due to the way you could tune them to suit what your trying to achieve, that would be a fair bit harder with ported subs.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, gonna sell them. Might retune my current LLTs a bit higher and add a highpass to them to gain a little in the 20-40Hz area and sacrifice the teens. Not too much meaningful that happens down there anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts