Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am FIIIIIINALLY getting close to finishing my Dual ED 19ov.02 DIT subs... I am hooking them up before assembling in fully. The concern is that I got a bad ground loop/hum until I connected them through my reckhorn b1. Once I put it through that I can get decent volumw with only a slight hum if I CRANK the overall volume on the reckhorn all the way up. The hum is still there during lesser volume passages BUT it is less than without it.

My current set up is:

aster volume = -4. Subwoofer setting -7, reckorn all the way cranked up, ep2500 set at 30 (appox 2pm)... The hum is still there and pretty decently loud but nothing like without the b1

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Find the ground loop and eliminate it.

Remove cable or satellite connections to see if that's the problem.
Try plugging components into the same power outlet and see if that's the problem.

brucek

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My epik dynasty was plugged into the same outlet minutes before and the pb13 was a while in the past as well

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Does the Reckhorn boost the lfe signal? That ep2500 needs 1.4v to work at full potential.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The minute the amp is turned on the hum starts, the volume level on the amp makes the hum go up and down but not the volume on the reckhorn or the receiver. Also the signal indicator on the amp goes in and out with no signal being provided.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I tried directly to the amp (no b-1) the hum was actually worse. I know the long chord is good, the shorter chord I added in between the reckhorn and amp has been used before for a short period but I guess it could have gone bad. I was running out of the left channel only of the b1 but like i said the hum is still obvious but less than without the b1.

·
Registered
306 Posts
if you disconnect the input cable and it is still there then it is a problem with either the EP2300 or the power connection.

If it goes away when you disconnect the cable then there is a loop between your amp and receiver. what i have done in the past is take a wire and connect the chassis of both devices together to virtually eliminate it. i took a spare RCA plug and connected it to another output on my receiver (having soldered a wire to the shield) then running the wire to my amp and using a spade connector connected it by a screw to the chassis. that got rid of 85% of it for me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How can that be? a couple other amps in subs worked fine in the same outlet with the same cable. When the cable it taken out the amp does not detect a signal and does not hum, with the b1 in chain the amp makes a hum but slightly less when the cable is connect and again none without the cables.

Would plugging the sub into the same wall outlet as the receiver possibly take care of it? Would a transformer of some kind be an option?

If you do it the manual way you mentioned how do you ground it? Is it just meant to electronically couple the devices? I would prefer an easy fix so i don't mess it up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Would plugging the sub into the same wall outlet as the receiver possibly take care of it? Would a transformer of some kind be an option?

If you do it the manual way you mentioned how do you ground it? Is it just meant to electronically couple the devices? I would prefer an easy fix so i don't mess it up.
Yes, plugging into the same outlet as the other devices may get rid of it because it would litmit the amount of potential for current to flow through the ground on the signal cable. a transformer would also take care of it but would kill your low end response (i tried one).

All that happens when connecting the chassis of the devices is connecting the grounds on all of them to make that ground loop to flow across the wire you just added instead of the signal cable.

I have found that the EP2500 is sensitive when it comes to ground loops, maybe it has a little ussue with grounding or something (not an expert) but i found this helped a bit. its not hard at all to test. just take a piece of wire and hold one end (stripped) against the ground of one of the input RCAs and hold the other end on the bare part of metal on the ep2500.

It may or may not work in your case, just worked a bit for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What type of connections are you currently using?

I had a similar issue with mine. It was a cable/connection issue.

I was using a coaxial type RCA to a 1/4" adaptor. I had a fair amount of noise. I was also getting noise with my A500 using coaxial type RCA's direct to the RCA input.

I made my own RCA to XLR adaptors using a twisted pair RCA that had a ground/drain wire. After introducing this new sub cable the noise was gone.

I subsequently did the same for the A500, and again the noise disappeared.

I have all of the amplifiers on the same grounded circuit as well (this was done before the cable fix with no results). I was running into similar situations to your own.

I suggest trying a different cable option to start. It may correct any issues you are having.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts