Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Judging by the test over at avs, the ep2500 in stereo at 4ohms and mono at 8ohms should have about the same power and thd. Is 4ohms going to be more stable because it is a pro amp? I would prefer to run it in 8ohm bridged so I only need to run one wire across the room.

Another question - would it be better to run a 25 foot subwoofer cable or is running speaker cable that far with a sub signal ok?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
would rather locate the amp near the receiver than near the sub.
Then do so. You asked which is better, not which method would work. They would both work, and 25 feet of speaker cable isn't that much.

brucek

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about running it in 8ohm bridged or 4 ohm parallel? The tested specs were about the same but is 80hm harder on a pro amp?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
but is 8 0hm harder on a pro amp?
No, it's less hard. The power dissipated will be less. Also the impedance portion that the cable represents in comparison to the total impedance will be smaller in comparison.

But again, it isn't significant.

brucek

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so ideal would be 8 ohm with a shorter speaker wire run / longer sub cable but the difference probably wont be noticable

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looking at the worst case scenario: 2400 watts into a 4 ohm load over 12 gauge wires will introduce 2.03V or 8.28% or 0.36dB drop. It gets better with 8 ohms and thicker wires.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok so ideal would be 8 ohm with a shorter speaker wire run / longer sub cable but the difference probably wont be noticable
25 feet is nothing to worry about just get something like a 12 gauge this is more then plenty, 8 ohms 4 ohms 2 ohms doesn't really matter, when the rowdy hoist speakers to ceiling for a live show do you think they hoist the amps as well with the speakers and they run multi kilowatts amplifierssss. Can you see any amps? and they run +50 feet of wire on these i'm sure:T

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mike,

My build is moving along... slowly. it will be 2 sealed subs, down/up firing and I am going to use a thick layer or pl premium to hold them together so the light weight of the sonos is not a concern. I am excited! Going to get an epik dynasty I think as well.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
25 feet is nothing to worry about just get something like a 12 gauge this is more then plenty, 8 ohms 4 ohms 2 ohms doesn't really matter, when the rowdy hoist speakers to ceiling for a live show do you think they hoist the amps as well with the speakers and they run multi kilowatts amplifierssss. Can you see any amps? and they run +50 feet of wire on these i'm sure:T

Hey! Where'd you get a picture of my patio system?:sneeky:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts