Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive got the first piece to my new sub! bad news is....i cant get it to work.
i feel like ive tried everything to make this thing work. its not getting an input signal!!!

my receiver is a pioneer vsx-517. im using the sub output from it. im going from rca to 1/4" plug with a RS part# 274-365. i have swithed all speakers to "small", i have turned up the subwoofer gain to +10. the ep2500 still isnt getting a signal. i have tried several different settings on the back of the ep2500. all im trying to use is channel one. does both channels of this ep2500 have to be hooked up to my sub output before it gets signal(i havent tried that)????? everything works fine with my smaller amp....

i did hook it up in bridged mode, still no sound but when i pulled out my rca plug from the ep2500 input.. i got a big thump out of my sub. so there is juice running, i just cant get a signal to it.

i thought about trying a different adapter...should i try using an rca to xlr? it may be my plug...its a stereo plug instead of a mono plug. hmm?

ep2500 settings:
1-right
2-left
3-left
4-left
5-left
6-left
7-left
8-left
9-right
10-left

switches 4 and 5 switch between stereo and parallel inputs? im not sure what setting i need for them.

help me out if you can,
thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pionner are well known to have a weak sub output,(not strong enough signal to feed pro amp) do a search here you will find. For the switches well depends how many sub are you running, what is the maximum power you can apply to that sub? ohms? you should give a better list of your equipement you have so this will help people to give you suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have a Pioneer Elite that runs my 2500 and as mentioned it has a very weak output signal. When I hooked it up the first time I had a signal but it was very low and so I put a line leveler in the mix such as the Samson s-convert and it was like night and day. I run 2 subs off my 2500 and my switch positions are as follows. R L R L L L L R L R Starting with #1. This is the setup for running in stereo but you should get some kind of signal however it may be very low without boosting the input to 1.4v

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the sub i currently have is nothing to speak of, its just a 12" JL audio w1 4ohm car sub that i have. its in a 3.5 cubic ft vented box.

my future plans was to buy a IXL 18 and build a 24"x24"48" vented box(whenever they become available again) i bought the ep2500 first since the IXl18 isnt available.

it looks like i may have to upgrade my receiver too! i think i would rather buy a different receiver rather than spending money on a line leveler. any brand suggestions? what brands have a low level sub output that i might want to dodge?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I would try the settings I mentioned first and see what happens. You might not need to replace the reciever. I can't speak for any other recievers except my pioneer but I think you can get that info on output from the manufacturer of whatever reciever you look at.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I had the same issue running my Pioneer 1018THX through a BFD1124. Increasing the sub level to +5 in the receiver and turning the gain down a little on the sub solved the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i have read up a bit and i think i will buy a Reckhorn b-1. this sounds like it would do the job and more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
reckhorn b-1 is now on the way!

anyone know when the IXL18 will be available? im ready to get this sub together!

·
Registered
150 Posts
well i have read up a bit and i think i will buy a Reckhorn b-1. this sounds like it would do the job and more.
Let me know how that works out. I have a 918 and decided to use an amp with RCA inputs, but if I upgrade my sub I will really need more power.

Why did you choose the Reckhorn over the fbq2496? I have been thinking about getting the Behringer.

Later.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a Pioneer VSX-816 amp and an EP2500 driving an IXL-18. Could just manage 900w bridged with everthing max'd out.

Adding a BFD DSP1124P did not increase the drive level, so I bought a cleanbox, which lets everything be backed off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know how that works out. I have a 918 and decided to use an amp with RCA inputs, but if I upgrade my sub I will really need more power.

Why did you choose the Reckhorn over the fbq2496? I have been thinking about getting the Behringer.

Later.
i went with the reckhorn b/c from what i read the fbq2496 doesnt give a signal boost like i need. the reckhorn will give me the boost and give me a few adjustments....
i guess i could have got the fbq2496 and ran it through a samson s-convert and had more controls....but i will try the reckhorn out and see if i like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts