Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posts cut from Small But Mighty - TC Sounds 8" EpicHey matt I've been going back and forth on a future project for to 12" epic's but I can't come to a solid decision. I was wonder in your opinion with that sub would you Do sealed enclosure or ported and what size enclosure do u think you would go with? I have been leaning toward something like 1.5 cubes sealed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Small But Mighty - TC Sounds 8" Epic (finished) Build

Honestly 1.5 is a little small for any TC Sounds 12", I would recommend around 2.5. You could have Mike P. do a quick enclosure design for you too. Usually you want to aim for a lower Qtc with these to get the best results.

Heres a quick Bass Box design I just did for the Epic 12:

F3 of ~43 and no excursion problems with as much as 700 watts. If a small box is the key than 2 cuft is about the smallest I would go, but you will sacrifice just a little on the bottom.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That being said is there a sub that would use a smaller box in a 12 ? Of it helps these subs will have to blend with a set of the rs722c bookshelf kits from PE. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
54 Posts

The only sub I'm familiar with that would work well in that size enclosure would be the RSS315HO-4 unless somebody else has another recommendation.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my original plan but somewhere slob the line I was drawn to the epic. How much more performance do you think I would get out of the epic over the Dayton?

·
Registered
54 Posts

The Epic has more excursion which will help with dynamics/output and will probably perform better down low. Here is a model of both in 1.5 cuft with 700 watts:

Epic is red, Dayton is orange.

The Epic rolls of at 46Hz, the Dayton starts at 60Hz. With 700 watts the Dayton runs out of excursion at 18Hz which would require a high pass, the Epic has no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts