Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Unfortunately, my busy life hasn't allowed me to finish the veneer/grill.

The wife is starting to get cranky with the unfinished state and is turning up the pressure to complete, so maybe soon.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well over a year later and a 2nd child added to the household, I have some progress to report on the finishing of this project.

I created the grill from MDF and Parts-Express black speaker cloth. My plan to use the Neodymium magnets to hold the grill in place is a FAIL. I drilled a small recess to hold the magnets in both the grill cover frame and body of the subwoofer, dropped the magnets in the hole sitting in a pool of glue, then wood filled a small layer over the top of each magnet. When all is said and done, there isn't enough magnetic force to prevent the grill from shearing down the face of the subwoofer. No big deal, I'll simply buy standard ball/socket type grill mounts to ensure the cover stays in place. Perhaps if I used 8 pairs of magnets rather than 4, it would have been sufficient.

I also ordered a BASH 500S last week when went on sale at Parts-Express to add a little extra overhead above the 300W that came with the subwoofer. Plan is to modify the resistors for bass boost tomorrow. I am also planning to do a final sanding of the box this weekend prior to attach of maple paper backed veneer I've purchased. I'll attach the veneer via contact cement.

Also as Epik Subwoofer announced they are going out of business, they've published the T/S parameters of the Valor driver because they're selling off remaining stock. I am now able to simulate in WinISD the actual performance of this specific driver in my enclosure which I wasn't able to do before.

Attached is the basic before and after sim, before being the stock Valor sealed configuration and my new ported enclosure with 500W BASH amp. This gives a basic visual of the extra output I've gained by the project.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's a big difference in output. I'll guess you modeled the 20.7 hi pass filter from the 1 db boost table on the Bash 500.
I'm actually planning and modeled the 19.1 Hz HPF with 4dB Bass boost from the BASH boost tables.

The original 300W amp from Epik had a similar 20 Hz HPF with 5dB boost.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here's a SPL comparo to show impact of sealed -> ported enclosure impact as well as BASH 500 upgrade.

Yellow = Epik Valor (Sealed)
Red = DIY Ported Enclosure with Epik 300W
Magenta = DIY Ported Enclosure with BASH 500s

Valor vs DIY Ported Valor 2.jpg

Here's is the equivalent cone excursion graph which indicates no probs.

Valor Cone Excursion Comparo.jpg

With the BASH 500 my port velocity maxes out at 28 m/s which is a little higher than I'd wanted, but it occurs around 18-19 Hz so I expect I'll be fine. I'll likely not be running the thing anywhere near max output often.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I modified the BASH amp HPF/Boost resistors last weekend as planned.

Got a late start today so only managed to cut the 4 veneer panels to size (top, sides, face) and attach the top via contact cement.

Here's a pic:

IMG_0705.JPG

Also one with the grill shown:

IMG_0711.JPG

Tomorrow I've got a kiddie party to attend so this weekend may be done for subwoofer progress ...the saga continues.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Added one side today and flush trimmed both top and side. Tried flush trim router bit to remove excess material and didn't like results, left a more jagged edge than I'd expected. Achieved better results by flipping subwoofer over and using utility knife to cut away excess, flip back over and sand gently.

So far I'm happy with the results since I've never done this before. Some things I've learned are adding the quarter round to the face before veneer was a mistake. I now have to perfectly mate the quarter round to the veneer sheets I'm adding which is a pain. Also, my pre-painted black box is smearing when veneering/sanding, making it a challenge to keep the light maple veneer clean.

A pic waiting for contact cement to dry ...

IMG_0712.JPG

... and two sides installed and trimmed

IMG_0714.JPG

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Attached the front face veneer today. Happy to say I didn't ruin the sub during veneer installation process.

Ordered General Finishes Stain and Urethane from Rockler, hopefully here by next weekend to continue project.

Taped off areas didn't want to contact cement ...
IMG_0737.JPG

Installed full sheet veneer, then cutaway port opening and edges against quarter-round with razor knife ...
IMG_0741.JPG

Drilled a hole in driver opening and used flush trim router bit to cutaway circle ...
IMG_0744.JPG

A little bit of sanding with 220 grit and hole cutout is clean ...
IMG_0745.JPG

And the finished product ready for stain ...
IMG_0750.JPG

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Not finished yet but in the process of the final topcoats. Wife and I decided on a dark espresso stain.

Here are a couple of pics after 4 coats of General Finishes Java Gel Stain and 4 coats of Arm R Seal Satin urethane topcoat, still wet in these photos.

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Stain and clearcoat are finished. Amp and driver installed.

Quick test shows it is functional with new BASH500 amp. I did notice a thump from the subwoofer when the amp auto shutdown switched over. I don't recall reading about this behavior with the BASH500 and never had this with the original amp.

Is this normal for this amplifier?

I still need to add the mounting hardware for the front grill cover but I have to buy some dowel centers first to properly align.

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wow, that espresso is dark! It looks really nice, great job with the veneer. Tough to tell in the photos, but is the grain still visible in the finished product?
Barely.

It is certainly a bit darker than the wife and I expected. Likely a by-product of using gel stain which is a bit of a hybrid product somewhere between paint and stain.

Early feedback from the wife is she's not loving the color and therefore, this subwoofer may have a satin black finish in its future. :foottap:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts