Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to paint a screen in a dedicated theater room and was hoping someone could give me some advice on which DIY paint to use. The dimensions of the room are 14' x 20' with the screen being painted on the 14' wall. I will be using an Epson 8700UB ceiling mounted at 13' away. I was thinking of going with a 130" screen. The walls and ceiling are dark gray flat paint, and the carpet is a light gray. The room is also 100% light controlled. The screen will be painted directly on puttyed and smoothed drywall.

I just finished going through the SF threads (on both forums), and initially I was thinking about going with SF V2, but after reading the reviews here with actual test data I am interested in what someone here could recommend for a screen with my setup. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Welcome to HTS ksbarnz! :wave:

According the PJ calculator at Projector Central you will be getting about 31 fL of image brightness with your HT set up. This is almost double the recommended 16 fL which leaves you a lot of room to consider using a gray screen (highly recommended if you ever want to have any lights on during viewing). If you will always be viewing in the dark there is no reason why a simple white painted screen would not work fantastic for you. For that I would recommend Glidden Premium flat interior #GLN9000-04, the can pictured in the link has 9011 on it, this is an error on the web site. This is the most color-neutral OTS (off the shelf) white paint we have yet found, it even passes our stringent color neutrality standards.

Here at HTS we approach screen usage from the most utilitarian standpoint. All our screen mixes have been designed to have the widest viewing cone possible while still having more gain than a regular paint the same shade. We believe that most HT's are best served by a screen that is viewable from anywhere in the room with the same (or nearly the same) image brightness as when viewing head-on. The mica-heavy, polyurethane laden mixes touted on the other forum don't do this even though they are said to perform this way. As you have noted, there is a decided lack of hard data on screen performance of these mixes on the other forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response and advice! I will be doing the majority of viewing in a completely dark room for viewing movies, but there will be times when ambient light will be a factor. We have a game room off of the media room and the doors will be open when we have people over to view UFC events, etc. What gray screen would you recommend? I've been reading through the BW and C&S forums and was interested in both. Also, I will doing the majority of my viewing in THX mode which will drop the fL down a bit. Thanks again!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I just did some more checking into your HT specs (been offline due to a power outage) and for a 130" 16:9 screen using THX mode in low-lamp mode with the 8700UB you would only be getting about 10.25 fL at the screen. I think I would either go with the Glidden white paint (the easy way) or try C&S™ Ultra for a tiny bit of help with ambient light. You really don't have enough lumens for Black Widow™ (although this is a very subjective thing, we usually don't recommend BW™ for any HT situation less than 12 fL).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the advice. Looks like I will probably go with C&S. Headed to the C&S thread for some more reading. Thanks again!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I missed this post by a few days, but if Harp is right on the PC fL calcs , C&S or slightly whiter could easily work.

I have a C&S screen in a light controlled room. I'm using an anemic AE900U PJ that I would guess barely puts out 10fL on its aging 1900 hour bulb. I run in eco mode calibrated with CalMan when watching movies with the lights off. When I have people over to watch sporting events, I run in high lamp Normal mode, uncalibrated, which brings the lumens way up.

The image is much more than "tolerable" and is quite pleasant for a nearly white screen with ambient light present. When the lights are out, all bets are off and I switch back to calibrated, "industry correct" mode for movies.

Just my .02

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts