Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening

I am about to start a DIY sub project with the mach5 IXL15.2.2 in a 5 CF box tuned to 20,74 Hz driven by the EP4000 and i need tHPF at 17 Hz according to the gentlemen who design the sub for me.

Since the Reckhorn B2 seems to be unavailable would the EQ.2 from elemental Design be a suitable replacement?

Alain

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure the eQ.2 should work.

Might want to consider MiniDSP too. It lets you set the HPF down to the precise frequency.
Thanks i will explore the minidsp further

Alain

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I would say the EQ.2 is better than the reckhorn B2. It is meant to be more accurate than the Reckhorn hpf wise down low but having said that the Mini dsp is the way to go as long as you get the higher voltage balanced one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say the EQ.2 is better than the reckhorn B2. It is meant to be more accurate than the Reckhorn hpf wise down low but having said that the Mini dsp is the way to go as long as you get the higher voltage balanced one.
I read the pdf manual. Am i understanding correctly that i could use the mini dsp only as a HPF ? How do i determine which filter to use between Linkwitz, butterworth or bessel

All I i have as info is to use a HPF at 17Hz

Alain

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I read the pdf manual. Am i understanding correctly that i could use the mini dsp only as a HPF ? How do i determine which filter to use between Linkwitz, butterworth or bessel

All I i have as info is to use a HPF at 17Hz

Alain
I don't have one yet... but I believe that you can just set a HPF and set the rolloff as well. I don't believe that you need to pick a crossover type - unless you use it as a crossover

Edit: I see that you can change it. THere is a screenshot on the last page:
http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief-4way Xover ADV plug-in.pdf

Example:
Cut off Frequency: 100
Filtertype: 48db/oct

Most HPFs don't let you set the rolloff... With this you can set it to 12/24/48 which gives you more flexibility.

With the 4 way advanced, you would have a mono input and you could actually filter/eq all 4 outputs separately if you had multiple subs.

Another HTS member, Theresa, is a big proponent of miniDSP.

Their documentation isn't perfect but there is a big support community and their email support is excellent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts