Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished two sub enclosures. I have them placed on either side of my mains. Do you guys think an EQ will make a noticable difference or should I just save my money. Heres my In room graphs. The first one is without audessey enabled on AVR, the second one is with audessy. I have a dip at 50 hz that gets worse as I move the mic around. I am guessing an EQ cant fix that.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Just finished two sub enclosures. I have them placed on either side of my mains. Do you guys think an EQ will make a noticable difference or should I just save my money. Heres my In room graphs. The first one is without audessey enabled on AVR, the second one is with audessy. I have a dip at 50 hz that gets worse as I move the mic around. I am guessing an EQ cant fix that.
Do you have bass traps or accoustic panels on your room??? ... maybe that can help too.:yes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no bass traps yet. Thats my next project. I need a subsonic filter for the sub. Was just wondering if I should look for a unit that can handle the SSF which also had an EQ.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might not be a bad idea, don't know of any stand-alone SSF's...

Regards,
Wayne
no they all pretty much have an EQ. I could get the eD eQ2 or reckhorn b1 which has a very limited EQ that I probably wouldnt even use. and they are both pretty cheap.

Or if an EQ would really make a noticeable difference I would get the Rane PE17. But it is rather pricey.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I am posting graphs, I might as well show you guys the graphs of my mains plus the subs with and without audessey.

The first is without audessey, the second is with it enabled.

Audessey really seems to do a good job on these graphs. There really seems to be alot of dips and valleys in these graphs. These looks acceptable or am in some major need of room treatments?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
While I am posting graphs, I might as well show you guys the graphs of my mains plus the subs with and without audessey.

The first is without audessey, the second is with it enabled.

Audessey really seems to do a good job on these graphs. There really seems to be alot of dips and valleys in these graphs. These looks acceptable or am in some major need of room treatments?
Can you post them using 15Hz to 20KHz insteadof just 15Hz to 200Hz???? :bigsmile: (I think you have to use 1/3 smoothing if I recall correctly).

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts

As I move my mic to different listening positions, I really have a bad dip between 45 and 70hz. I tried other spots but this seems to be the best locations. Is this something bass traps can fix?
Actually, it's merely a dip at 50 Hz, at least with the top graph. Bass traps can probably help get more uniform response (i.e., more consistent at multiple locations), if you have room for them. Often it takes a lot of them to do the job.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
746 Posts
HotGrits...sounddot.com ... refurb eQ.2's for $65.
Got mine there and recieved it within a wekk and it works perfectly.
Basically for SSF as well, but I've found myself using the EQ for a little boost around 50Hz. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I applied a 15 hz HPF on the Rane. I dont see any difference on the b4 and after graphs.

I was going to start to apply some filters to tweak my response. I ran sweeps from the 3 main listening positions. As you can see in the graphs below certain peaks are dips and vice versa as i move the mic. So if I calibrate for one location, I worsen that frequency at a different location.

Should I even bother with the EQ on the Rane?

Is there a way to get the target line to show up under the measured or averaging tab in REW?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Should I even bother with the EQ on the Rane?
It looks quite good, so I don't think I would equalize with those responses. You've got a bit of a peak at 35Hz, but not too bad.

Is there a way to get the target line to show up under the measured or averaging tab in REW?
No...

brucek

1 - 20 of 28 Posts