Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I thought I pose this question on a non HSU forum.
Yeah, I remember when that mid bass module first came out, I read the manual and the article and decided it had some built in problems that most users wouldn't likely overcome so as to realize the claimed advantages. There is positive anecdotal evidence from the forum, but then they have an ownership bias that I tend to ignore.

The advantage I guess is that power requirements are reduced as a result of the near-field situation, and so the light driver cone and close direct signal offer a real visceral (in your face) slam for gunshots and all the other effects that are resident in that mid-bass bandwidth. Then the low bass gets the usual advantage of corner effects etc.

Nice idea, but most people won't take the manuals advice and get a digital delay unit to compensate for the fact that the processor/receiver has set a distance time delay for the low sub and that delay is also 'enjoyed' by the mid bass unit that is sitting a couple feet away.

Additionally, most people may not understand the extra work they should go to in measuring the overall 15Hz - 200Hz bandwidth and then applying equalization to two crossovers (the first between two mis-timed subs and the second between the near-field sub and mains). Not that difficult, but I can see the delay anomaly causing some horrible cancellation problems in some installations.

If it was done right, I think it would be kinda cool. I wouldn't recommend it myself. Regular subwoofers are quite capable of handling the 0Hz-80Hz range. If you have headroom problems, add an additional identical subwoofer. If you don't, don't.... :)

the receiver will send signals from 80 hz to 50 hz to the MBM-12
No, the receiver has a single crossover that when set to 80Hz transmits a low pass signal below 80Hz (at a given slope). This signal is split with a Y-splitter (from the manual) and sent to the low-sub and mid-sub. The mid-sub has a 50Hz 4th order high pass filter that limits the range from 50Hz up to crossover of the processor sub signal. The low bass unit must have its low pass set to ~50Hz.

brucek

1 - 1 of 1 Posts