Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts

Hi lexx,

I don’t see why it should be a problem. The BFD has two channels. Just dedicate one channel to each sub. Or, if they’re both fed by the same sub out from the receiver, just insert the BFD in front of them, just like you would do with a single sub.

If the delay becomes an issue, you could switch to another equalizer. My Yamaha YDP2006 has independent delay for both channels; I believe some of the Behringer processors do, too.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts

Lexx,
Most people on this forum seem fond of having 2 of the same sub so I assume most have little to no experience with this concept of bass splitting (which seems to be novel approach by Dr. HSU).
The common reasoning for having two identical subs is because they’re typically both operating full-range (full-range bass, that is), and if one is a poor performer, that one will “dumb down” overall bass performance.

That’s not the same as what you’re talking about. As you noted, with the “bass splitting” arrangement you’re using two subs to cover the same frequency range that one sub would normally. So the “identical” mantra doesn’t apply.

As to whether or not you should try it, it sounds interesting. Can’t hurt to give it a shot, since I assume Hsu has a generous return policy. I guess the deciding factor would be, is your current VTF3 MKII meeting your needs – i.e., playing loud and low enough with headroom to spare (which you’ll need if you equalize with the BFD)? If so, no reason not to try the MBM12. If not, I’d opt for getting the “grunt” factor addressed first with a second VTF, and then maybe the MBM later.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts

Nice idea, but most people won't take the manuals advice and get a digital delay unit to compensate for the fact that the processor/receiver has set a distance time delay for the low sub and that delay is also 'enjoyed' by the mid bass unit that is sitting a couple feet away.
Yup. It was probably short-sighted of them not to just include a delay function in the amp module, especially if near-field is their recommended placement...

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts