Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a BFD 1124P and was wondering if it would be difficult to integrate a mid-bass module. From reading on this forum, the idea doesn’t appear to be that popular. There are a lot of positive feedbacks over on the HSU forum. Individuals who’ve tried it seem to have been blown away. The concept equates to two subs running as one but, focusing on frequencies that they handle the best. For example, the VTF3 MKII will handle 50 Hz and down. And the MBM-12 mid bass module will handle 50 Hz to 80 Hz. The MBM-12 has a very light driver and according to all accounts I’ve read, handle the mid range of 50-80 Hz with authority (spls of 110db and up). HSU’s concept of splitting the bass frequencies involve positioning your main sub (VTF3 MKII in my case) farfield (e.g. in a corner) and the MBM-12 nearfield (e.g. behind your couch or close to your sitting area). Supposedly, mid-bass is better when the woofer is next to the listener.

My current set-up includes a HSU VTF3 MKII (with Turbo attachment) but I’m thinking of adding the MBM-12 or another VTF3 MKII. I’m thinking that the MBM-12 would be much harder to integrate and EQ since there would be two crossover points (the receiver will send signals from 80 hz to 50 hz to the MBM-12) and the crossover on the VTF3 MKII will kick in from 50 Hz down to approx. 16 Hz. Another problem might be delay times as the mid-bass module would be significantly closer to where I sit. Users, on the HSU forum, haven’t found these to be problems but I thought I pose this question on a non HSU forum.

Has anyone tried this? Most people on this forum seem fond of having 2 of the same sub so I assume most have little to no experience with this concept of bass splitting (which seems to be novel approach by Dr. HSU). Do you foresee any problems with this integration? As I’ve mentioned, there are a lot of “awed” users at the HSU forum. Here is the link on the MBM-12 mid bass module approach…(http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12.html).

It’ll take me a while to get some graphs because there is a lot of reading that I have to do on using REW and the BFD.

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wayne,

Given what I've stated, would go buy the mid bass module or buy another of the same sub?

Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have plenty of headroom with my VTF3 MKII but, I think that adding a 2nd of the same sub is the path I'll take for now. I like the idea of evenly distributed bass from both sides of my room. Like Wayne said, I can always add an MBM-12 later.

Thanks Wayne and Bruce for your thoughts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts