Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to come up with any kind of ideas for my equipment cabinet.

The cabinet is going to have to be about 40" wide to accommodate two racks of equipment. No way to get it all in one rack because of the limited height of 24".

I figure the cabinet will net me about 20" of space on each side without the shelving... if I figure on a about a 3" recessed base.

Not sure what can be done with something like this, but would welcome some ideas.

I may need to eliminate the stage idea and add 6 inches more to the cabinet to make sure I have enough room for everything.

The scheduled equipment...

Onkyo 876
Behringer EP2500 x 3
SVS EQ
DVD/Blu-ray Player
Panamax
Satellite Receiver (? Probably not initially)

If I ever decide to add an outboard amp and use the receiver as a prepro only... I can always move the pair of EP2500's and park them one on each sub box.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those do at least give me the idea to maybe have a top that wraps around the edges.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
What about this ...

Sonnie.JPG

You can incorporate the center speaker there and have adjustable shelves for the rest of the equipment (I don't know what size you're planning ...but you get the idea, Right??? :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
There's always the concrete blocks covered in contact paper that we used in college:bigsmile:

Yes, I actually did that; still had them in my first apartment after graduation. Long, long time ago...

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey... coke crates on concrete blocks always worked well for us.

Center speaker is 30" wide... and I don't need the cabinet to be more than about 40" wide total.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Center speaker is 30" wide... and I don't need the cabinet to be more than about 40" wide total.
:paddle: ...You didn't say anything before :boxer: :bigsmile:

Wouldn't you get a clean look without the equipment rack/cabinet in the front??? ....maybe just the L+R+C speaker and the equipment on the side/back wall :huh:....personally I prefer just the screen, I think that sometimes the lights on the equipment are distracting (specially AVR display, but I don't mind a couple of small lights) :yes:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... yeah, it would look cleaner no doubt, but there isn't really a good place otherwise. The lights never have bothered or distracted me... and no one else has ever complained. We can alway tint those anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sonnie, Have you thought about something in the modular contemporary style like this,http://www.racksandstands.com/StudioTech-HF-4-B-S-SO0077.html
You can buy different size shelves and legs and build just about anything you need. I recentley bought some at lowes and it is called real organized modular shelving and I put together a rack to the size I needed. Just a thought.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah... I have looked, but it helps to have adjustable shelfs, which most don't. Plus finding the right size is difficult.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Trying my best not to thred jack here. :)

I am basically looking to do the same thing. Something to hold a 50"-52" and a nice spot for the center incorperated into the design. I don't even know where to start though. I am a complete newb when it comes to wood working, but I have the tools needed and a decent head on my shoulders, and look forward to seeing what you come up with. :D

Chris

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have pretty much racked my brain about this Chris... I am still coming up short with only a couple of ideas that I am still not sure will work. I will have to physically layout my equipment in the room to see if it will work.

My current idea is to build something like the following...

The two outside sections will be fixed for DVD storage, which will only give me room for 3-4 adjustable shelves in the middle. Then I figured maybe building a smaller width cabinet behind this one that will not be seen, but I am worried about depth into the room.

I may have to go back to double wide... or maybe triple wide shelving and just make it shorter. :dumbcrazy:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like it! I definitely need more storage for my collection of DVD's. Depth really isn't too much of an issue for me. I would personally need more slots for components. Fortunately my sub amp is on the back of the sub enclosure, so for now that isn't a oncern for me. Basically I have a 10 yr old pre-built cabinet made for my 32" tv I have now. I am trying to devise a way to get rid of it and accomodate a larger tv while locating my center channel, receiver, cd/dvd player, and gaming console. My front channels are currently on end tables and I would like to make some stands for them and the rears eventually. :D One thing at a time I suppose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sonnie, can you just build something out of wood and then putting rack rails in it? http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RAXRKRL

You can use regular rack shelves for your non-rackmount equipment, and obviously the EP2500s will screw right to the rails. That way you could still have the DVD storage you want on the sides on traditional shelves with adjustable mounting for the equipment in the center. The EP2500s can be mounted right on top of each other since they vent only from the front and back.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Sonnie..You don't have room on the back wall somewhere for a vertical equipment rack.?
That's where I would be placing my equipment, if not in another room..
Don't forget also that you will need to have rear access to the rack, and unless you mount a front cabinet on castors, it's going to be a pain to get to the back of the equipment..

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan to leave enough room behind the cabinet to get to all the wiring... similar to my last setup.

The only thing about mounting the EP2500's by screwing them to the rack mounts is they would be the only thing mounted in that way.

I still have not ruled out incorporating the center in the top shelf.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just as a side note. One of my neighbors can apparently get granite slabs very cheap locally. I think I want to venture out in this direction. Build a solid wooden base with appropriate shelving and hinged doors on the front with a quisi open back panel for access and venting.

I think it is time for me to find someone that can make suggestions about the kind of wood I need to get my desired results. This thread has given me so many ideas and forced me to think outside of my original "box". I will post up as soon as I start making some headway.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uh-oh... and you are not far from me. My wife wants granite kitchen counters. :gulp:

Just sketching something... maybe something similar to this...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts