Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I want to use REW to EQ the two SVS PC-13 Ultra subwoofers that I have in my home theater. I had the room professionally calibrated a few years ago, but I recently replaced my Integra pre-pro with the Maranzt 8802A and decided that I would try REW to smooth out my bass response. I've tried to read all the information that there is about REW, but I still have a few basic questions about the equipment that I will need to get started. Once I order the equipment, I'll sure I'll be back with more questions about how to use it if I get stuck! I plan to use REW with my year old Dell computer that is running Windows 10 and has an HDMI output. So here are my questions:

1) I am planning to order the UMIK-1 calibrated microphone from Amazon. Is this the best one to use? I ask the question because I read somewhere the this microphone is only calibrated at 0 degrees whereas the UMM-6 microphone is calibrated at 0, 45 and 90 degrees which apparently gives more flexibility during testing? Is this correct? Also, if I get the UMIK-1 microphone, does one have to point it directly at the subwoofer or does one point it upwards (like the Audyssey mic) or towards the screen (center channel)?
2) Using the USB microphone and my Dell laptop, is the easiest connection the one where I connect the mic to a USB port on my computer and the computer to my Marantz 8802A using an HDMI connector?
3) Do I need any other equipment to perform the REW testing (e.g., adapters to connect the UMIK-1 to my boom microphone, any stereo mini-plug to RCA connectors, etc.)? Some of the articles that I have read suggest that one needs these equipment, but it is not clear if I need them or not.

I am sorry if these questions have already been asked and answered on this Forum, but a search that I did not reveal the answers to me.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
UMIK-1 is a great choice. You don't need additional calibrations for sub measurements, but you can download 0 and 90 degree files from the miniDSP site anyway. When measuring subs it doesn't matter which way you point the mic, I point it at whatever it is I'm measuring. You can use HDMI from your laptop or, if your interest is primarily the subs, an analog connection from the headphone output. Don't usually need much else, if the UMIK doesn't fit your boom might need an adaptor to use the clip one that comes with the UMIK but wait til you get it to check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UMIK-1 is a great choice. You don't need additional calibrations for sub measurements, but you can download 0 and 90 degree files from the miniDSP site anyway. When measuring subs it doesn't matter which way you point the mic, I point it at whatever it is I'm measuring. You can use HDMI from your laptop or, if your interest is primarily the subs, an analog connection from the headphone output. Don't usually need much else, if the UMIK doesn't fit your boom might need an adaptor to use the clip one that comes with the UMIK but wait til you get it to check.
Hi John, thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the advice about UMIK-1 because it seems to be a great microphone.

One other question that I forgot to ask in my first post was whether I need some other equipment to EQ my two subs. Do I EQ them independently to get a flat response from both of them, or do I EQ them together and try to tweak each sub to get the flattest combined response possible?

Thanks again for your help.

Cal68

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
To use EQ you will need some kind of equaliser, either facilities in your processor if it offers them or an external unit. MiniDSP make various equalisers that could be used, but there are others, you'll find info in the forum. May as well EQ the subs together as a pair.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To use EQ you will need some kind of equaliser, either facilities in your processor if it offers them or an external unit. MiniDSP make various equalisers that could be used, but there are others, you'll find info in the forum. May as well EQ the subs together as a pair.
Thanks again John. I believe that my Marantz pre-pro has a built-in equalizer, but I will have to check. I don't have the funds right now to purchase a stand-alone option from MiniDSP. I was under the impression from watching one of the videos on YouTube that one could use REW to smooth out the peaks in the curve and then input the necessary adjustments into the equalizer section of the Marantz. Hopefully this is true!

Cal68

1 - 5 of 5 Posts