Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Seriously audition and research a Pioneer or Denon AVR before going w Onkyo... much experience in the field replacing Onkyo's that just dont live up to the hype or have issues or fail all-together..... :eek:lddude:
Please refrain from spreading false information. Failures in Onkyo units is not higher than any other manufacturers if you factor in that Onkyo sells far more than the others do. I own one of the so called bad Onkyo receivers that was apparently plagued with issues and Ive never had one hickup yet and I know I am not the only one.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I do not intend to falsify any information ever.... the resent facts of Onkyo's AVR issues are well known in the industry, though they continue to be a popular brand..... My company sells them along with Denon and Pioneer and I can state without question that more Onkyo's have problems than the other 2 brands....its not a matter of opinion..... the failure rates are higher comparatively....yes the other brands have had problems but not as often over the last 5 yrs.....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Let me know how they work out. I am leaning toward the Ed 6's due ti size but and price but may be able to fit the SHO-10's.
Here's the key excerpt from my "review" post (eljay's SHO-10s and WAF-3s) on the CHT forum
Then came the SHOs and the S60s. We ran a few movie clips and some music through one and then the other (and sometimes back again).
- The S60s were sweet and open/airy, with a bit more "fullness" to the sound (they sounded "bigger") than the SHOs. They were also a bit brighter, but at loud volumes that brightness occasionally translated to a bit of "sizzle" in the higher frequencies.
- By contrast, the SHOs were more neutral-sounding, the highs were "tamed" but not muted or muffled, and they could be pushed hard without ever losing composure.
- Both speakers offered precise, detailed audio and wide soundstages.

When all was said and done, the conclusions were unanimous:
- For a system geared primarily toward HT use, the SHOs were the clear choice. They offered excellent clarity and dynamics, and they were unflappable.
- For 50/50 use, or primarily music, the advantage tipped to the S60s which were better (sweeter-sounding) for music but also competent (if slightly less so than the SHOs) for HT.
- Considering that 5 SHO-10s can be had for roughly the cost of a pair of Studio 60s, the SHOs represent a hell of a bargain in HT speakers! :cool:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts