Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received a calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1. My current setup:

Running HDMI out from pc laptop (HP Pavillion dv6) to HDMI input of Emotiva UMC-200 using a monoprice high performance (30 ft) cable...also troubleshooted with regular 5 foot hdmi cable.

I installed asio4all support, umik driver automatically installed, and ran room eq wizard 5.01 beta 20. I followed the rew help simplified usb setup step by step procedure guide 101 to assure everything was set correctly within my soundcard and mic in control panel. I currently have my mic in the MLP ear height.

I went to calibrate soundcard and mic and while I am getting the 1k test tone, my levels give the error of too much variability (66db or more) and no matter what my levels seem far outmatched from each other. ANy suggestions?

I have tried lowering the mic sensitivity, receiver volume, pc mixer volume, sweep volume of REW and still get the huge gap in cal levels and can't get further. I also switched hdmi cables and reversed them to make sure. Hoping you have some suggestions before realizing I have invested money for nothing....

P.S. I am getting sound and setup the hdmi out for 5.1 output even though I have side surround , not rear surrounds as it implies.

WHen I run the soundcards audio tests for 5.1 it will turn to multipcm , but when I run tests it will not switch to dolby and I think is possibly the cause.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Absolutely no reason to calibrate the internal computer soundcard they are very good in recent laptops, my Acer (about 7years old) is very good.

I run my Omnimic with it and is very good, recently chnaged REW onto my old laptop (13 years old) and not quite as good, although a easy work around was sorted.

Didn't you have a Omnimic?

Generally speaking it is a plug and play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I should just skip anything related to that and just start a sweep? I just figured I couldn't get to that yet. I guess you are saying, just start going ahead with sweeps as long as the cal file is loaded from the cross spectrum file I got for the umik-1? I figured the 45 degree narrow band was what I should use with a mic pointed at the 45 degree in MLP. Guess I will try soon. I have Omnimic v2, but didn't have a cal file for REW or knew it was accurate. Whenever I do tests I hear sound out of the speakers, but wont't engage in dolby, and the mic will show - 106 db while the output shows -14db...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
So I should just skip anything related to that and just start a sweep? I just figured I couldn't get to that yet. I guess you are saying, just start going ahead with sweeps as long as the cal file is loaded from the cross spectrum file I got for the umik-1?
1. Since the calibration files are from CS download the original file from Minidsp > open file > copy and paste first line "sens factor" line onto the same place of CS file, this deals with the SPL calibration, so there is no need to do SPL calibartion either.

2. Bascially plug in Mic > open REW > REW will ask for mic calibration file > click yes > go to mic file where stored and load, set levels to about 75db on your system and start measuring.

I figured the 45 degree narrow band was what I should use with a mic pointed at the 45 degree in MLP.
No use the 0 degrees file and point the mic straight at the source, speaker etc. pointing with slightly upward.

Guess I will try soon. I have Omnimic v2, but didn't have a cal file for REW or knew it was accurate.
Yes you did the Omni file loads into REW, and also V2 has good accuracy, mine is extremely close to the UMIK (that i won) measurement wise.

Whenever I do tests I hear sound out of the speakers, but wont't engage in dolby, and the mic will show - 106 db while the output shows -14db...
Try the SPL calibration copy and paste stated above.

Start with the main speakers first

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Note that the output from REW over HDMI is PCM over whichever channel or channels are selected, it does not generate Dolby-encoded signals. Soundcard calibration is not required with a USB mic since the soundcard is not being used for input. Make sure the UMIK-1 has been selected as the input in REW, doesn't sound like it is since the signal level from a UMIK would never get as low as -106 dB (might see -70 in a very quiet enviroment).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when setting up recording devices in control panel, should I leave mic volume 100%, just like hdmi output?

I did notice the preamplifier sending out multipcm, but it would lock into all stereo mode....

On another note, I am going to start from square one if I get everything working. I will start as follows, please feel free to chime in:

(without GIK Tri Traps in place)
1)Use impulse sweep to find room modes/sharp peaks in general MLP area (about 35% fdistance from back wall
2)Place acoustic tri-traps in place and sweep again with impulse response, to see of any improvments.
3) will either take out or use those tri traps. (0-300hz area)
4) verify best MLP with impulse response, with mic in MLP ear height facing 45 angle utilizing 0 degree narrow band cal file.
5) verify best subwoofer location from possible areas, placing subwoofer in ear height MLP (like subwoofer crawl) placing mic at possible subwoofer locations (at subwoofer cone height) and using impulse response (0-300hz)
6) Find best main channels locations using impulse response to find desired location yielding best response (300hz-2Khz) or

7)check spl's, sub phase, and proceed to eq with sine sweep (spl frequency)

How do I go about setting up the PEQ filters that can be loaded into EMotiva UMC-200 , and how are they loaded.... USB on the back panel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
WIll I be pasting the actually sensitivity factor into the CS cal file for o degree narrow band like the following?

"Sens Factor =-7.205dB, SERNO: 7003064"
4.33 -11.02 0
5.79 -8.58 0
7.24 -7.05 0
8.69 -5.37 0
10.14 -4.47 0
24995.24 -39.81 0
25012.61 -40.14 0

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
<<<<SNIP>>>>How do I go about setting up the PEQ filters that can be loaded into EMotiva UMC-200 , and how are they loaded.... USB on the back panel?
To the best of my knowledge ( at this time ) , REW can not transmit ( it's generated EQ settings ) to external devices via USB .

I believe midi or serial port ( for a few select devices ) is all REW is capable of .

You'll need to enter the values manually into your UMC-200 .

:sn:

BTW ; could you please edit your previous post ( that has all the info for your mics calibration file ) .

- 3 to 5 lines is more than enough information for us to get the jist of what you are talking about . Thanks !

- Yes, paste the first line shown into the CSL file.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts